USA: Brown Shoe Reports 8.6 Per Cent Increase In Q3
Brown Shoe Company, Inc today reported an 8.6 per cent increase in diluted earnings per share to 88 cents for the third quarter versus 81 cents last year. Due to strong wholesale reorders late in October and lower than estimated expenses, Brown Shoe earnings exceeded its previous estimate of 85 to 86 cents per share.For the 13 weeks ended October 28, 2000 net income rose 5.8 per cent to $15,615,000 from $14,763,000 for the year ago quarter. During the first nine months of the fiscal year, diluted earnings per share rose to $1.75 versus $1.74 for the year ago period, and net earnings were $31,361,000 versus $31,596,000.Consolidated net sales for the third quarter were up 7.9 per cent, to$462,945,000 from $429,132,000."Given the current environment, we are pleased to have exceeded earnings estimates for the quarter," said Brown Shoe chairman and CEO Ron Fromm. "Our women's wholesale businesses performed very well, strengthening late in the quarter, and contributing to the increase in earnings. The increase was led by very strong reorders of Naturalizer - especially our new collection of boots and tailored women's mocs. This more than offset below-plan sales at Famous Footwear and Naturalizer Retail during the quarter."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Oxford Industries, Genesco
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Adidas NYC flagship raises the bar on sport stores
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack