US: Brown Shoe sells Avia and Nevados brands for $74m
Brown Shoe said it will use the the proceeds from the sale to pay down debt
Footwear business Brown Shoe Company has sold its Avia and Nevados labels to brand acquisition and development firm Galaxy Brand Holdings for US$74m, and said it will use the proceeds to pay down debt.
“Although we were not actively marketing Avia for sale, it’s a great brand with a strong heritage that appealed to Galaxy Brand Holdings. As a result, they made an offer which we believe is in the best interest of our shareholders to accept,” explained Diane Sullivan, Brown Shoe president and CEO.
“We’re excited about continuing to expand and strengthen the Ryka brand, which is the most integral and relevant part of the ASG acquisition for Brown Shoe Company.”
As a result of the deal, Brown Shoe expects to incur a charge of $15-17m.
Galaxy Brand Holdings CEO Eddie Esses, meanwhile, said the company sees significant growth opportunities for the two brands in both domestic and international markets.
Brown Shoe, which bought Avia and Nevados as part of its American Sporting Goods (ASG) acquisition in February 2011, will keep the Ryka women’s athletic shoe brand along with others that were part of the deal. It sold the AND 1 brand, which was part of the ASG purchase, for $55m later that year.
Footwear firm Brown Shoe Company has lifted its full year earnings guidance after it returned to profit during the second quarter, helped by higher sales and margins....
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change