US: Brown Shoe takes steps to drive product development
Footwear firm Brown Shoe Company Inc has taken steps to improve collaboration and visibility across its global product development process by implementing a new product lifecycle management (PLM) platform.
FlexPLM from PTC, the Product Development Company, should also help the company manage costs and reduce development times.
Brown Shoe operates more than 1,100 Famous Footwear stores and also markets brands such as Naturalizer, Dr Scholl's, Via Spiga and Etienne Aigner.
Based on PTC's Windchill technology, FlexPLM is a web-based solution that streamlines communication, tracks milestones, pre-empts performance bottlenecks, and provides instant visibility throughout the product development cycle.
Brown Shoe's implementation follows an analysis by its product development team across the US and China.
They looked at the company's systems and how its global supply chain could become more streamlined, efficient and disciplined, while also cutting costs.
Brown Shoe uses FlexPLM to connect the development of its line calendar, the structure of line planning/sample planning, and the management of product specifications in one system.
It also offers the company critical visibility for planning and budgeting.
"This solution is designed to create a more cohesive product development process, which is important to managing our business well," said Brown Shoe's senior vice president-product and sourcing, Dan Friedman.
"It is still up to our teams to put in the work, but we expect FlexPLM to make it easier for product teams to speed up the development process, obtain visibility at every step and streamline one system for planning."
Footwear operator Brown Shoe Company slipped to a second quarter net loss of US$4.2m after sales slumped 10.1% to $511.6m in the three months to 1 August....
Around 1.4m pairs of children's clogs have been recalled in the US by footwear distributor Brown Shoe and its Hong Kong-based affiliate Pagoda International....
Leading Chinese sporting goods provider Li Ning has invested in a product lifecycle management (PLM) system to help drive its corporate expansion and globalisation initiatives....
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details