US: Brown Shoe to close distribution centre
Footwear retailer Brown Shoe Company Inc is planning to close its distribution centre in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin next year as it tries to realign its business and reduce excess capacity in its network.
The facility will be shuttered in a phased process, which is set to begin in January and conclude in April. During this time, the company said, its workload will be moving to other locations.
"This decision was based on the result of changes in our industry and our continued portfolio realignment efforts, which are focused on shifting resources to our strategic consumer platforms," said Mike Kauffman, senior vice president of global supply chain management.
The company, which operates the Famous Footwear and Naturalizer stores, and markets brands including Dr Scholl's, Sam Edelman, Via Spiga and Etienne Aigner, blamed falling demand for toning footwear and ongoing costs of its SAP information technology system for pushing it to a second quarter loss of $4.6m.
The company also recently sold its AND 1 basketball brand as part of a review of its business instigated by chief executive Diane Sullivan.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The first day of this year's Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong threw up the usual mix of ideas and insight. Rising costs, finding capable capacity, new sourcing locations such as Myanmar, collaboration ...
Footwear firm Brown Shoe Co has promoted John Mazurk to the newly created role of president of the company's Healthy Living division, which includes Naturalizer, Dr Scholl's Shoes, LifeStride, Avia an...
Textile business SEL Manufacturing has implemented an ERP solution from provider Datatex, going live in about five and a half months since the project was begun....
The organisers of the Prime Source Forum event, which opened in Hong Kong earlier today (28 March), are also planning to launch a parallel meeting in India later this year. ...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts