UK: Buoyant organic textile market bucks wider trends
The market for organic textiles in the UK is buoyant, despite a fall in total organic sales in 2012, according to new figures.
In its annual report, the Soil Association says organic sales in the UK fell 1.5% to GBP1.64bn (US$2.49bn) in the year, which it blames on the continuing economic downturn.
But non-food sales showed a “positive uplift”, with turnover of textile licensees to Soil Association Certification up 10%.
The number of textile facilities certified to Global Organic Textiles Standards (GOTS) around the world was up 10.4% to 2,995, the report found.
Sales of organic wool through the Wool Board rose 8.5% by volume to 215,000kg and 25% by value, boosted by a 15% increase in the price per kilo.
And the report highlights Textile Exchange figures which suggest that the global market for organic cotton was up at least 10% in 2011-12.
The Soil Association also pointed to its largest textile licensee, Continental Clothing, which sells items wholesale to the imprintables industry and saw turnover rise 35% in 2012.
Trade was boosted by range expansion, a doubling of warehouse capacity and promotions with organic vintage prints to mark the 50th birthdays of Carnaby Street and the Rolling Stones.
A smaller-scale success, it added, was Curlew Weavers, which doubled its sales over the year.
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack