UK: Burberry confirms factory closure plans
Fashion firm Burberry has confirmed it will close its factory in Treorchy, South Wales, despite facing a barrage of criticism over the plans.
The upmarket company said it expects to shut down the plant on 30 March after failing to find a "commercially viable alternative" during a consultation period.
The closure will cause the loss of 300 jobs as production is moved to China, where labour is cheaper.
It was revealed earlier this month that the factory's managers would be questioned by a parliamentary committee over the closure plans.
Welsh secretary Peter Hain has attacked the proposals, arguing: "How is it possible for such an iconic British brand to be manufactured anywhere other than Britain?", while Britain's General Union (GMB) is also campaigning to keep the factory open.
A Burberry spokeswoman told just-style recently that there were no plans to shut either of Burberry's other UK factories in Castleford, West Yorkshire, and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
The clothing market in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is experiencing stellar growth on the back of rising consumer spending, a surge in tourists, and 145% growth in retail space as new malls and shop...
High street stores are queuing up to get famous faces designing clothes for them, and the Kate Moss collection for Topshop is the latest sign that fashion chains are cashing in on celebrity. Joe Aylin...
Casual apparel firm People's Liberation has signed an exclusive agreement with Greek distributor Lakis Gavalas for its William Rast clothing in Greece and Cyprus....
Luxottica Group said late Wednesday (20 June) that it has reached a definitive agreement to acquire Oakley for about US$2.1bn....
Rose Marie Bravo, the current vice chairman and former chief executive of UK fashion house Burberry Group, has said she will step down from 1 July....
UK luxury fashion retailer Burberry is poised to benefit from its US expansion, analysts told just-style on Thursday (14 June)....
Luxury goods retailer Burberry's boosted profits by 4% for the full-year 2006/07 in a preliminary sales statement....
Brioni has rated the most prestigious luxury men's fashion brand in a new survey carried out among wealthy consumers....
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Adidas mulls roll-out of in-store customisation
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack