UK: Burberry Fights Ferret Outfitters Over Check Fabric
Luxury UK goods company Burberry has threatened to take legal action against a company selling clothing for ferrets in check fabric similar to its own.
Burberry has ordered Ferret World, which is based in Dudley, West Midlands, to stop selling all garments made with the check fabric on the grounds it is infringing Burberry's copyright.
Burberry's lawyers sent a letter to Ferret World - the country's sole outlet for rodent garments - complaining about the jackets, hats and bandannas and demanding a sample of the material used as well as a list of all purchasers of the offending apparel.
The pet shop, which had advertised a £6.99 ferret outfits as being "in the famous Burberry design", has agreed to scrap the advert containing Burberry's name but said Burberry should "get a life" and added it will not release customer details because of the Data Protection Act.
Ferret World owner Simon Bishop claimed the material was bought from Dudley market and that he believed the tartan design to be a generic one.
Bishop also points out that the ferret clothes' fabric contains cream and purple rather than beige and red.
Burberry's check fabric has recently been equated with tackiness after seeing its popularity soar among young teenagers and football hooligans.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
We're now in an age in which "brand is king" says Stacy Baker, author of a new report on the state of the apparel branding industry. That said, what does the concept of a good branding strategy mean t...
For the past 20 years Wal-Mart has redefined the way most retailers and manufacturers across channels and categories have done business. Every apparel company has been affected thanks to the retail gi...
Luxury goods house Burberry has announced the resignation of president and chief operating officer, Brian Blake, and also reported a dip in first-half earnings....
Luxury goods label Burberry has given its backing to supermodel Kate Moss, who has been brandished a disgrace for her drug habit....
Luxury goods company Burberry Group Plc has reported a 1.2 per cent drop in first-half sales, dragged down by a fall in wholesale revenue....
Upmarket fashion label Burberry Group has named a new chief executive to replace Rose Marie Bravo, who is to quit the role next July....
Luxury goods company Burberry's chief executive, Rose Marie Bravo, is to quit her position with the company when it demerges from majority shareholder GUS, according to media reports....
Burberry and Chanel have become the latest companies to drop Kate Moss amid lurid stories about her personal life and photographs allegedly showing the model snorting cocaine....
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Modern Slavery Act boosts supply chain engagement
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020