UK: Burberry proposes closure of garment factory
Luxury goods house Burberry has proposed closing its factory in Treorchy, South Wales, following a year-long review of its supply chain and manufacturing process.
Burberry concluded that the site, which makes polo shirts, is no longer commercially viable. The proposed closure, which would be likely to happen in early 2007, would leave more than 300 people jobless.
A spokeswoman told just-style that the closure was not yet definite and that Burberry hasn't made any plans to shut its other UK factories in Castleford, West Yorkshire, or Rotherham, South Yorkshire, which make items such as trench coats.
The company, which could transfer production to Asia or South America, will be starting formal consultation with union representatives and will make further announcements after a minimum of 90 days, the spokeswoman said.
Burberry's announcement comes as the UK struggles to hold onto the remaining dregs of its garment and textile sector, which has been worn away by cheaper foreign production.
Just this week Derbyshire textile dye company Stevensons Dyers said it would shut its doors while textile firm MA Cashmere, which is based in Innerleithen, Peeblesshire, collapsed without warning.
UK fashion company Burberry has defended its decision to close its factory in south Wales, despite vociferous opposition to the move....
The campaign to keep Burberry's Rhondda Valley factory appeared to have spread overseas yesterday (14th February) as opposers protested outside the company's stores across Europe and the US....
Animal rights campaigners from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) today held protests across the US against Burberry's use of fur in its collections....
Workers from Burberry's factory in Treorchy, south Wales, have restarted their protest to keep the plant open after the company said it would give it to the local community....
Welsh singer Tom Jones has joined the call to save Burberry's factory in Treorchy, which is situated near to where he grew up....
Luxury brand Burberry met forecasts with a 25% rise in underlying revenue in the third quarter thanks to demand for its handbags and accessories....
Fashion firm Burberry has confirmed it will close its factory in Treorchy, South Wales, despite facing a barrage of criticism over the plans....
The managers of Burberry's factory in Treorchy, south Wales, are reportedly to be questioned by a parliamentary committee over proposals to shut down the plant....
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020