UK: Burberry retail sales on the up
Fashion house Burberry is set to expand its US and Asian operations after posting a rise in retail sales during the six months to 31 March.
Total revenues were up 3% to GBP390m (US$683m) thanks to a strong retail performance from the group, the company said.
Underlying retail sales were up 13%, thanks partly to the acquisition of 12 outlets in Taiwan last August and the retail conversion of women's wear shop-in-shops in Spain in February.
Retail growth accelerated during the fourth quarter to 16%, with new and refurbished stores in the US driving the increase. Strong growth was also shown in the UK and continental Europe.
Wholesale revenues fell 7% on an underlying basis, in line with company expectations, thanks to an adjustment in the brand's wholesale/retail balance in the US and soft demand in Spain.
"Retail operations were the highlight of Burberry's fourth quarter," said chief executive Rose Marie Bravo. "Consumers' favourable response to spring merchandise, particularly women's wear, and an exciting advertising campaign contributed to the strong retail performance."
The company is to increase its net retail selling space by at least 10% in the next year, focusing in particular on the US and Asian markets.
Holding company GUS demerged Burberry Group in December 2005, transferring its 65% stake in the company to Burberry shareholders.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
We're now in an age in which "brand is king" says Stacy Baker, author of a new report on the state of the apparel branding industry. That said, what does the concept of a good branding strategy mean t...
For the past 20 years Wal-Mart has redefined the way most retailers and manufacturers across channels and categories have done business. Every apparel company has been affected thanks to the retail gi...
Luxury goods label Burberry has given its backing to supermodel Kate Moss, who has been brandished a disgrace for her drug habit....
Luxury UK goods company Burberry has threatened to take legal action against a company selling clothing for ferrets in check fabric similar to its own....
Luxury goods company Burberry Group Plc has reported a 1.2 per cent drop in first-half sales, dragged down by a fall in wholesale revenue....
Upmarket fashion label Burberry Group has named a new chief executive to replace Rose Marie Bravo, who is to quit the role next July....
Luxury goods company Burberry's chief executive, Rose Marie Bravo, is to quit her position with the company when it demerges from majority shareholder GUS, according to media reports....
Burberry and Chanel have become the latest companies to drop Kate Moss amid lurid stories about her personal life and photographs allegedly showing the model snorting cocaine....
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts