UK: Burberry warns of FY currency headwinds hit
Burberry said currency headwinds could negatively hit its annual profits by GBP55m
British luxury brand Burberry has warned that exchange rates could weigh on full-year profit, despite booking a double-digit increase in first-quarter retail sales.
The company said the rising strength of the pound could impact its annual profits negatively by GBP55m (US$94.2m) if exchange rates remain the same.
In the first trading update with new chief executive Christopher Bailey in control, the company said underlying retail revenue jumped 17% to GBP370m during the three months to 30 June. On a reported basis, retail revenues were up 9%. Comparable sales increased 12%, driven by planned investment.
Asia Pacific and the Americas regions enjoyed double-digit comparable store sales growth, while Europe, Middle East, India and Africa (EMEIA) reported a low single-digit increase.
"This first quarter performance reflects our focus on striving to give customers the best possible experience of the Burberry brand through ongoing investment in retail, digital and service, both on and offline," Bailey said.
"With great brand momentum and a focused vision, we remain confident of delivering sustainable, profitable growth into the future," he later added.
Charles Stanley Research analyst Sam Hart said although significant foreign exchange headwinds and the move of Japanese operations from a licensing model to a fully owned and operated model are likely to "act as a brake on growth in 2015/16", underlying profit growth will "remain healthy" in both years.
"We expect global demand for luxury goods to remain reasonably buoyant over the medium term, given our expectation that the global economic environment will continue to slowly improve and our belief that luxury goods is a long term structural growth market."
And Burberry appears "particularly well positioned" to benefit from the trend, according to Hart.
Richard Hunter, analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown Stockbrokers, is also positive about the results. "Today's update is showing signs of blowing away some cobwebs from Burberry's recent chequered history.
And although the company's share price has been weak, updates like this will "continue to exert positive pressure on the market consensus which, for the moment, remains anchored at a strong hold", he added.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Burberry Group plc (BRBY) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by G...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the global apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate ...
Well-known global mass brands, in particular Uniqlo, have proven to be the most important factor impacting the channel in 2013. Uniqlo has been the outstanding performer amongst these global mass bran...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Echo Sourcing unveils new supply opportunities
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- TAL Group improves pre-production efficiency
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details