AUSTRALIA: Buyers Paying Too Much For Apparel - Survey
A survey conducted by the paper, which compared the prices of 70 products, found that some items were costing twice as much as in the United States.
As part of the survey, journalists from the paper went shopping at department stores, hypermarkets and specialist outlets in Australia and in the US.
Price differences, after converting the greenback to local currency, included a pair of Nike shoes that costs AU$150 in Sydney but only AU$99 in an American shoe store, and Levi's 501 blue denim jeans that cost AU$135 in Sydney but only $59 in a leading US department store.
"We're being ripped off over and over again," Australian Consumers' Association spokesman Norm Crothers said.
"It's the same with music CDs, Palm Pilots and all those sorts of things.
"There is no doubt we are paying too much."
While some manufacturers claimed that high mark-ups by retailers were partly to blame for the inflated prices, the survey found evidence that some manufacturers were pricing their goods higher in the Australian market, forcing retailers to pass on the costs to consumers.
Companies: Nike Inc
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Textiles and clothing make up Thailand's largest manufacturing industry, with more than 4,500 factories employing over one million people. The sector accounts for approximately 20 per cent of total em...
The University of Colorado has agreed to extend its apparel agreement with sportswear giant Nike Inc by ten years....
Sportswear giant adidas has clinched a long-term partnership deal with tennis superstar Andre Agassi, who previously held a contract with archrival Nike....
Independent music label Dischord Records has forced sportswear giant Nike Inc to apologise for unlawfully using artwork from a punk-rock record cover in a promotional campaign for skateboarding appar...
Nike Inc, the world's biggest athletic-shoe maker, said fourth-quarter earnings rose 15 percent, encouraged by sales of high- priced Air Jordan and Shox sneakers....
Shoe chain Payless ShoeSource Inc has secured Matthew Rubel, a former executive of sportswear giant Nike Inc, as its new chief executive officer from July onwards....
Men's and women's apparel company Perry Ellis International Inc has named Al Derago senior vice president of the Nike swim division, effective today....
Sportswear giant Nike Inc has warned football club Manchester United that it may pull out of their £303 million sponsorship deal if the club doesn't improve its performance....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report