SPAIN: C&A to close 21 stores as part of restructure
German fashion retailer C&A is to close 21 underperforming stores in Spain by the end of next month as part of efforts to restructure the business for future growth.
The company, which operates 130 stores in the country, said the closures include 14 regular stores and 7 Kids stores, with the loss of 150 jobs.
C&A pointed out that the fashion retail market in Spain has declined by almost 30% since 2007, and that the closures will help it adjust its store portfolio to a size more suited to the current market.
As part of the restructure, C&A will also open a new retail park store in Ferrol in October, creating 56 jobs.
The retailer also plans to roll out its store investment programme into other stores, including store refurbishments to improve their image and layout.
C&A said it remains committed to, and confident in, the future of the Spanish fashion market.
"This process has implied a difficult but necessary decision in order to strengthen the C&A store portfolio," said Marc Estourgie, managing director of C&A Spain and Portugal.
"This allows us to adapt to the current Spanish consumption habits and enforce our position for the future in a market in which we have been operating for 30 years now."
Apparel giant Fifth & Pacific Companies will change its name to Kate Spade & Company this year to reflect its single-brand focus, with Craig Leavitt to take the helm....
US apparel groups and retailers are calling for swift passage of legislation introduced on Thursday (9 January) that would help to 'fast-track' international trade deals....
UK value fashion retailer New Look has joined a raft of apparel companies in banning the use of angora wool in all of its products....
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a look at M&S's latest trading update, the end of a strike by garment workers in Cambodia, and a new factory and worker safety business unit set u...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Hong Kong's Winds Group to open Haiti factory
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report