WORLD: C&A warns of supply crisis in organic cotton
C&A has been promoting organic cotton production for around ten years
Despite increasing demand for organic cotton in international markets, global production continues to decline, European value fashion retailer C&A has warned.
The retailer, which has been promoting the use of organic cotton in its clothes for around ten years, says counteracting the shortage is a priority.
Indeed, it goes so far as to suggest it will have ecological, social and economic consequences for all in the organic cotton supply chain worldwide. Measured against the global production of cotton, the share of organic cotton is currently only 1%.
"We are now at a critical point in which the demand for organic cotton is exceeding the supply," said Thorsten Rolfes, head of corporate communications Europe. "The availability uncertainty tied to this threatens to endanger long-term investment in organic cotton."
Worldwide production of organic cotton rose continuously to the year 2011, but crop yields subsequently sank by 8% in the following years. Even though around 50% of producers increased their output of organic cotton, the decline was blamed on a lack of knowledge regarding cultivation methods and a lack of cooperation between communities.
To spread awareness, C&A has published a brochure: 'Let's take Bio Cotton to everyone every day', which explains the added value and challenges of organic cotton production, and shows opportunities for those in the global supply chain. It is here, C&A suggests, that garment companies have a particular responsibility.
"Brands play a key role in the development of organic cotton as a sustainable resource," says Rolfes.
"Some brands are taking action, but the supply crisis shows that much more needs to be done. Collaboration is the key - working in partnership with experts, local communities and governments can enable organic cotton to realise its full potential.
"But firms can make a difference not only in the production countries but also in the sales markets by making their customers aware of the subject of organic cotton. In our experience, it is possible to create awareness, fulfill the demand and be profitable."
C&A claims to be the largest buyer of organic cotton and sold over 100m products made from organic cotton in fiscal 2013. The share of organic cotton against the total cotton collection is 38%.
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Milliken & Company - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, produc...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report