WORLD: C&A warns of supply crisis in organic cotton
C&A has been promoting organic cotton production for around ten years
Despite increasing demand for organic cotton in international markets, global production continues to decline, European value fashion retailer C&A has warned.
The retailer, which has been promoting the use of organic cotton in its clothes for around ten years, says counteracting the shortage is a priority.
Indeed, it goes so far as to suggest it will have ecological, social and economic consequences for all in the organic cotton supply chain worldwide. Measured against the global production of cotton, the share of organic cotton is currently only 1%.
"We are now at a critical point in which the demand for organic cotton is exceeding the supply," said Thorsten Rolfes, head of corporate communications Europe. "The availability uncertainty tied to this threatens to endanger long-term investment in organic cotton."
Worldwide production of organic cotton rose continuously to the year 2011, but crop yields subsequently sank by 8% in the following years. Even though around 50% of producers increased their output of organic cotton, the decline was blamed on a lack of knowledge regarding cultivation methods and a lack of cooperation between communities.
To spread awareness, C&A has published a brochure: 'Let's take Bio Cotton to everyone every day', which explains the added value and challenges of organic cotton production, and shows opportunities for those in the global supply chain. It is here, C&A suggests, that garment companies have a particular responsibility.
"Brands play a key role in the development of organic cotton as a sustainable resource," says Rolfes.
"Some brands are taking action, but the supply crisis shows that much more needs to be done. Collaboration is the key - working in partnership with experts, local communities and governments can enable organic cotton to realise its full potential.
"But firms can make a difference not only in the production countries but also in the sales markets by making their customers aware of the subject of organic cotton. In our experience, it is possible to create awareness, fulfill the demand and be profitable."
C&A claims to be the largest buyer of organic cotton and sold over 100m products made from organic cotton in fiscal 2013. The share of organic cotton against the total cotton collection is 38%.
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
Canadian department store operator Hudson's Bay Company has more than halved its losses during the second quarter, thanks to a near-doubling of sales....
H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Milliken & Company - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, produc...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details