US: Cabela’s weighs next move after Gander court victory
Cabela's is considering its options, including the possibility of an appeal, after a US federal judge in Minnesota on Tuesday (11 July) ruled against the outdoor retailer and said rival Gander Mountain is free to use the Gander trade name and marks in its direct marketing.
With the ruling in its favour, Gander said it would launch an e-commerce site and re-enter the catalogue business as soon as possible.
Gander's predecessor company sold its direct marketing division and certain licensing rights to Cabela's for US$35m in 1996. The arrangement included a non-compete clause which expired in 2003.
The two companies are rivals in the outdoor, hunting, fishing and camping markets in the US.
A statement from Cabela's read: "Cabela's is currently reviewing the ruling and discussing its alternatives with legal counsel. These alternatives include, but are not limited to, an appeal of the ruling."
Both companies operate retail stores throughout the US, but Cabela's bills itself as "the world's largest direct marketer" of fishing, camping and related outdoor merchandise.
By Arnold J Karr.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Performance products company Under Armour took top place in the "Most Competitive Retailers Study" compiled by independent research firm W Ratings Corporation....
Cabela's, a retailer of hunting, fishing and outdoor gear, has announced organisational changes to its business units, altering the roles of three company executives....
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective