US: Cabela’s weighs next move after Gander court victory
Cabela's is considering its options, including the possibility of an appeal, after a US federal judge in Minnesota on Tuesday (11 July) ruled against the outdoor retailer and said rival Gander Mountain is free to use the Gander trade name and marks in its direct marketing.
With the ruling in its favour, Gander said it would launch an e-commerce site and re-enter the catalogue business as soon as possible.
Gander's predecessor company sold its direct marketing division and certain licensing rights to Cabela's for US$35m in 1996. The arrangement included a non-compete clause which expired in 2003.
The two companies are rivals in the outdoor, hunting, fishing and camping markets in the US.
A statement from Cabela's read: "Cabela's is currently reviewing the ruling and discussing its alternatives with legal counsel. These alternatives include, but are not limited to, an appeal of the ruling."
Both companies operate retail stores throughout the US, but Cabela's bills itself as "the world's largest direct marketer" of fishing, camping and related outdoor merchandise.
By Arnold J Karr.
Performance products company Under Armour took top place in the "Most Competitive Retailers Study" compiled by independent research firm W Ratings Corporation....
Cabela's, a retailer of hunting, fishing and outdoor gear, has announced organisational changes to its business units, altering the roles of three company executives....
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- EU urged to adopt roadmap for Sri Lanka GSP+ bid
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack