US: Cache optimistic despite Q2 losses
- Q2 net loss widens to $7.9m
- Gross margin narrows to 31.6%
- Net sales fall 10%
US women's wear retailer Cache said it is encouraged by the performance of its business at the beginning of the second half, despite reporting a widening of net losses in the second quarter.
Net losses totalled US$7.9m in the three months ended 28 June, compared to a loss of $1.6m in the year ago period. The company said it was hit with employee separation charges of $956,000 in the period.
Gross margin narrowed to 31.6% from 37.3% last year, primarily driven by the de-leverage of fixed occupancy expenses given lower sales, compared to the prior year.
Net sales dropped 10% to $54.1m, while comparable store sales slid 8.8%.
CEO Jay Margolis, said: "While disappointed in our second quarter financial performance, I am encouraged about our business at the start of the second half of the year and expect our actions to result in increased sales productivity."
The company has implemented a number of strategic initiatives to try and improve its bottom line, including launching new collections, a loyalty programme - Treasured, the merging of its planning and allocation teams, and the consolidation of its store and online fulfilment operations to create one multi-channel distribution centre.
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Alliance brands "staying the course" in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Bangladesh denied US GSP re-entry on worker rights
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis