US: Cache optimistic despite Q2 losses
- Q2 net loss widens to $7.9m
- Gross margin narrows to 31.6%
- Net sales fall 10%
US women's wear retailer Cache said it is encouraged by the performance of its business at the beginning of the second half, despite reporting a widening of net losses in the second quarter.
Net losses totalled US$7.9m in the three months ended 28 June, compared to a loss of $1.6m in the year ago period. The company said it was hit with employee separation charges of $956,000 in the period.
Gross margin narrowed to 31.6% from 37.3% last year, primarily driven by the de-leverage of fixed occupancy expenses given lower sales, compared to the prior year.
Net sales dropped 10% to $54.1m, while comparable store sales slid 8.8%.
CEO Jay Margolis, said: "While disappointed in our second quarter financial performance, I am encouraged about our business at the start of the second half of the year and expect our actions to result in increased sales productivity."
The company has implemented a number of strategic initiatives to try and improve its bottom line, including launching new collections, a loyalty programme - Treasured, the merging of its planning and allocation teams, and the consolidation of its store and online fulfilment operations to create one multi-channel distribution centre.
Product lifecycle management (PLM) systems help apparel companies share information more efficiently and plan for future lines more accurately as time-to-market shrinks....
The most-read stories on just-style this week include M&S increasing the amount of Better Cotton it sources, Cache considering a third-party acquisition offer, and Tesco's management changes could hel...
US women's wear retailer Caché has said it is considering an offer from a third party regarding a potential sale of the company....
US women's wear retailer Caché has seen its third-quarter loss widen as net sales continued to fall....
- 2014: Year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
- COMMENT: The decline of the buying office
- 2014: Year in review - Brand winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Retail winners and losers
- Vietnam factories face fire safety challenge
- Wage theft of migrants in Thai apparel industry
- Triumph recalls 22,000 bras for underwire fault
- Investigation uncovers China's dog leather trade
- Philippines added to European Union GSP+ scheme
- Nike shares slide on future orders in Q2