US: Cache optimistic despite Q2 losses
- Q2 net loss widens to $7.9m
- Gross margin narrows to 31.6%
- Net sales fall 10%
US women's wear retailer Cache said it is encouraged by the performance of its business at the beginning of the second half, despite reporting a widening of net losses in the second quarter.
Net losses totalled US$7.9m in the three months ended 28 June, compared to a loss of $1.6m in the year ago period. The company said it was hit with employee separation charges of $956,000 in the period.
Gross margin narrowed to 31.6% from 37.3% last year, primarily driven by the de-leverage of fixed occupancy expenses given lower sales, compared to the prior year.
Net sales dropped 10% to $54.1m, while comparable store sales slid 8.8%.
CEO Jay Margolis, said: "While disappointed in our second quarter financial performance, I am encouraged about our business at the start of the second half of the year and expect our actions to result in increased sales productivity."
The company has implemented a number of strategic initiatives to try and improve its bottom line, including launching new collections, a loyalty programme - Treasured, the merging of its planning and allocation teams, and the consolidation of its store and online fulfilment operations to create one multi-channel distribution centre.
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Big data helps Crystal Group sustainability gains
- Brexit and the apparel industry – what lies ahead?
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Brexit uncertainty over pending EU trade deals
- Brexit to halt deflation in UK clothing sector
- Under Armour opens manufacturing innovation hub
- Delta Galil buys VF Corp premium brands for $120m
- Nike faces domestic and future order headwinds
- Walmart's 'Made in USA' pledge misleading
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Denmark
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape