US: Cache swings to Q3 loss on falling sales
New York based women's wear retailer Cache Inc has swung to a third quarter net loss amid store closure costs and falling sales, and says its earnings for the year are likely to come in at the lower end of earlier guidance.
For the 13 weeks to 27 September, net loss was $1.6m or $0.12 per share, including $0.02 per diluted share in store closure costs. This compares with a profit of $161,000 or $0.01 per diluted share in the third quarter of fiscal 2007.
Net sales fell 4.0% to $58.1m from $60.6m last time, and comparable store sales were down 4%.
Lower sales and a new pricing strategy meant that gross profit declined to $25.6m, or 44.1% of net sales, compared to $27.7m, or 45.7% of net sales, a year earlier.
Thomas Reinckens, chairman and chief executive officer, said the results were "negatively affected by the challenging economy, which heightened in severity in September.
"This caused a dramatic reduction in mall traffic, as consumers tightened their spending on discretionary items, which reduced our sales and profitability during the quarter."
The company, which operates 295 Cache and Cache Luxe stores, said it expects the holiday season to be "difficult."
Earnings per share will be at the low end of earlier forecasts, the company said. For the fourth quarter this will be in the range of $0.24 to $0.29, and for the fiscal year will be $0.12 to $0.17.
Despite reporting a rise in its full year sales, Canadian sport retailer West 49 fallen into the red, incurring a net loss of C$2.6m, compared to net income of $1.5m for fiscal 2008....
Luxury handbag maker Coach Inc has posted net income of US$115m for the third quarter, down 29% compared with $162m in the prior year period, including charges related to cost reduction measures....
Shares in retail fashion group Hennes & Mauritz (H&M) fell in early trading today (15 April) after the company announced worse than expected monthly sales for March....
Shoe retailer Bakers Footwear Group has posted net income of US$0.5m for the fourth quarter ended 31 January, compared to $7.3m in the same period last year, amid a highly promotional retail environme...
Burlington Coat Factory Investments Holdings recorded a 12.9% boost to third quarter EBITDA, thanks to rising sales and large-scale cost reductions....
Apparel retailer Dress Barn is forecasting a better than expected third quarter performance after a good reception for its spring merchandise....
Slumping same-store sales at its Wet Seal and Arden B chains combined with an impairment charge to push fashion retailer The Wet Seal Inc to a 64.8% drop in fourth quarter profit....
Fourth quarter profit at yoga-inspired clothing maker Lululemon Athletica Inc has tumbled 25.3% as consumer spending slowed....
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020