US: Calendar shift hits Shoe Carnival Q3 profit
- Q3 net earnings $10.9m, down from $12.2m
- Sales fall 3.5% to $235.8m versus $244.4m
- Profit and sales hit by calendar shift
Value footwear retailer Shoe Carnival has blamed an unfavourable calendar shift for a 10.7% decline in third-quarter net profit.
The company said a one-week shift in the fiscal calendar moved an important week of back-to-school sales into the second quarter this year - with the knock-on effect of reducing third-quarter sales by $21.2m.
During the three months to 2 November, comparable store sales edged up 0.7%. Gross margin, however, slipped to 30.1% from 31.3% a year ago.
President and CEO Cliff Sifford said: "The arrival of October's seasonably cool weather and an end to the federal government shutdown was a welcomed relief in the third quarter.
"October's mid-single digit comparable store sales gain, together with August's sales performance, more than offset our negative September sales trend. Higher merchandise margins coupled with lower expenses than were originally projected resulted in earnings at the high-end of our expectations."
The company expects fourth-quarter earnings per diluted share to be in the range of $0.18-0.22, up from $0.13 in the same period last year. Sales are forecast to be between $215m and $219m, up on last year's $205.7m.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Value footwear retailer Shoe Carnival has reported a decline in first-quarter profit, after harsh weather kept shoppers away from its stores....
A drop in sales during the fourth quarter has led to an 81% slump in profit at value footwear retailer Shoe Carnival....
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022