CAMBODIA: Campaigners pressure retailers on garment wages
Campaigners are ramping up pressure on retailers and importers sourcing apparel from Cambodia to tackle what they describe as the "poverty wages" of the country's garment workers.
It said the mobs will take place in at least ten countries across Europe, including Switzerland, Denmark, The Netherlands, Poland and Norway.
The labour rights group wants retailers to publicly support the Cambodian trade union's goal of a US$131 per month minimum wage as a first step towards a proper living wage. It also wants an action plan to ensure suppliers pay their workers accordingly.
Currently, the minimum wage for a garment worker in Cambodia is $61 per month.
"There is an urgent need for a wage hike for the workers producing for European consumers," said Athit Kong, vice president of the Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers' Democratic Union (C.CAWDU).
"The retailers have an indisputable role and all big buyers must work together and in true dialogue with independent unions in Cambodia to improve the wages."
Ethical sourcing in the garment and textile industry is a key consideration - not just because it is the right thing to do, but because consumers are keen to know how their clothes and accessories hav...
More than 160 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people las...
The Rana Plaza factory disaster should be a wake-up call for everyone involved in the apparel industry - and the catalyst for real, systematic change in Bangladesh - the US Senate was told during a sp...
Specialty women's apparel retailer Christopher & Banks has swung to a first-quarter profit thanks to higher sales and lower asset impairment charges....
Chief technology officer Kristen Blum has been named as the latest executive to leave struggling department store retailer JC Penney....
Spending on luxury apparel around the world is recovering, but will continue to lag behind leather goods and other accessories in growth terms, according to a new report....
Retail giant Tesco suffered mixed fortunes in its first quarter, with like-for-like sales in the UK falling despite a strong performance from clothing....
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Change management key to PLM project success
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies