CAMBODIA: Campaigners pressure retailers on garment wages
Campaigners are ramping up pressure on retailers and importers sourcing apparel from Cambodia to tackle what they describe as the "poverty wages" of the country's garment workers.
It said the mobs will take place in at least ten countries across Europe, including Switzerland, Denmark, The Netherlands, Poland and Norway.
The labour rights group wants retailers to publicly support the Cambodian trade union's goal of a US$131 per month minimum wage as a first step towards a proper living wage. It also wants an action plan to ensure suppliers pay their workers accordingly.
Currently, the minimum wage for a garment worker in Cambodia is $61 per month.
"There is an urgent need for a wage hike for the workers producing for European consumers," said Athit Kong, vice president of the Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers' Democratic Union (C.CAWDU).
"The retailers have an indisputable role and all big buyers must work together and in true dialogue with independent unions in Cambodia to improve the wages."
Ethical sourcing in the garment and textile industry is a key consideration - not just because it is the right thing to do, but because consumers are keen to know how their clothes and accessories hav...
Some 190 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people in 2013....
The Rana Plaza factory disaster should be a wake-up call for everyone involved in the apparel industry - and the catalyst for real, systematic change in Bangladesh - the US Senate was told during a sp...
Specialty women's apparel retailer Christopher & Banks has swung to a first-quarter profit thanks to higher sales and lower asset impairment charges....
Chief technology officer Kristen Blum has been named as the latest executive to leave struggling department store retailer JC Penney....
Spending on luxury apparel around the world is recovering, but will continue to lag behind leather goods and other accessories in growth terms, according to a new report....
Retail giant Tesco suffered mixed fortunes in its first quarter, with like-for-like sales in the UK falling despite a strong performance from clothing....
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Performance apparel set for continued growth
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Sears Holdings cuts 115 corporate jobs
- H&M Q4 mixed but plans 400 new stores
- JC Penney to close 10 Foundry stores
- UK clothing sales see strongest rise in two years
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead