CAMBODIA: Campaigners pressure retailers on garment wages
Campaigners are ramping up pressure on retailers and importers sourcing apparel from Cambodia to tackle what they describe as the "poverty wages" of the country's garment workers.
It said the mobs will take place in at least ten countries across Europe, including Switzerland, Denmark, The Netherlands, Poland and Norway.
The labour rights group wants retailers to publicly support the Cambodian trade union's goal of a US$131 per month minimum wage as a first step towards a proper living wage. It also wants an action plan to ensure suppliers pay their workers accordingly.
Currently, the minimum wage for a garment worker in Cambodia is $61 per month.
"There is an urgent need for a wage hike for the workers producing for European consumers," said Athit Kong, vice president of the Coalition of Cambodian Apparel Workers' Democratic Union (C.CAWDU).
"The retailers have an indisputable role and all big buyers must work together and in true dialogue with independent unions in Cambodia to improve the wages."
Ethical sourcing in the garment and textile industry is a key consideration - not just because it is the right thing to do, but because consumers are keen to know how their clothes and accessories hav...
More than 170 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people las...
The Rana Plaza factory disaster should be a wake-up call for everyone involved in the apparel industry - and the catalyst for real, systematic change in Bangladesh - the US Senate was told during a sp...
Specialty women's apparel retailer Christopher & Banks has swung to a first-quarter profit thanks to higher sales and lower asset impairment charges....
Chief technology officer Kristen Blum has been named as the latest executive to leave struggling department store retailer JC Penney....
Spending on luxury apparel around the world is recovering, but will continue to lag behind leather goods and other accessories in growth terms, according to a new report....
Retail giant Tesco suffered mixed fortunes in its first quarter, with like-for-like sales in the UK falling despite a strong performance from clothing....
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Accord and Alliance discord over inspections
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey