TAIWAN: Carnival Moves Production To The Philippines
Apparel manufacturer, Carnival, announced earlier this week that it is to shut down its Taiwan plant and move all its export-oriented production lines to the Philippines by the end of the year.Carnival, the largest men's suit exporter in Taiwan, will close its Chungli plant, which manufactures about 10,000 ladies' garments per month, in December. About 50 per cent of the workers will be laid off, based on the Taiwanese Labour Standards Law. The firm plans to set up its second new plant in the Philippines soon, with an initial investment of around US$5m. The company's Kueishan plant, which exports approximately one million men's suits per year, will also move to the Philippines. Carnival now sells about two million men's suits and relevant wears per year. Management said that production costs in the Philippines are low, with labour costs about one fifth of those in Taiwan. The establishment of overseas plants in the Philippines will ensure higher profit margins for the company in the future.The company also plans to boost its R&D facilities, which will remain in Taiwan, Carnival said.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report