TAIWAN: Carnival Moves Production To The Philippines
Apparel manufacturer, Carnival, announced earlier this week that it is to shut down its Taiwan plant and move all its export-oriented production lines to the Philippines by the end of the year.Carnival, the largest men's suit exporter in Taiwan, will close its Chungli plant, which manufactures about 10,000 ladies' garments per month, in December. About 50 per cent of the workers will be laid off, based on the Taiwanese Labour Standards Law. The firm plans to set up its second new plant in the Philippines soon, with an initial investment of around US$5m. The company's Kueishan plant, which exports approximately one million men's suits per year, will also move to the Philippines. Carnival now sells about two million men's suits and relevant wears per year. Management said that production costs in the Philippines are low, with labour costs about one fifth of those in Taiwan. The establishment of overseas plants in the Philippines will ensure higher profit margins for the company in the future.The company also plans to boost its R&D facilities, which will remain in Taiwan, Carnival said.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020