BRAZIL: Carrefour to buy retailer Atacadao for $1.08bn
Carrefour SA, Europe's biggest retailer, yesterday (23 April) agreed to buy Brazil's Atacadao for BRL2.2bn (US$1.08bn) in a move that will give it 34 discount hypermarkets in the country.
Atacadao has 34 stores across Brazil, 17 of which are located in Sao Paulo state, and reported net sales in BRL4bn in 2006.
Carrefour said in a statement that the acquisition forms part of its "strategy to reinforce its presence in key growth markets through a locally adapted multi format approach."
Atacadao's discount hypermarkets complement Carrefour's existing operations in Brazil, which include 109 hypermarkets, 34 Carrefour Bairro and 258 Dia hard discount stores giving total net sales of EUR3.8bn in 2006.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Consumers are increasingly aware of the distance products travel to get to market, and it seems a likely next step that "clothes miles" will become an issue like "food miles." But is sourcing closer t...
French supermarket group Carrefour, the world's second-largest retailer by sales, is selling its 50% stake in Swiss hypermarket operator Distributis for CHF235m (US$195m)....
Cherokee Inc's first quarter profits fell along with its royalty revenues, reflecting the termination of its finder's fee arrangement with Mossimo, the end of its relationship with Carrefour and decli...
Indian shoe manufacturer Superhouse is increasing footwear production capacity to cater for increased demand from US markets....
A fund set up by some of the European companies sourcing from the Bangladeshi garment factory which collapsed two years ago has made its first compensation payment to survivors and families of those w...
Europe's largest retailer Carrefour SA yesterday (8 March) posted a 57.6% hike in annual profit after cutting prices in France and strong sales in Latin America and Asia....
Wal-Mart Stores said Monday (26 February) that it had acquired a 35% interest in Bounteous Company Ltd, which operates 101 Trust-Mart hypermarkets in 34 cities in China....
The world's largest retailer Wal-Mart has told just-style's sister site just-food that while it is watching the Russian retail market with interest, it does not currently have any plans to enter the s...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- Sourcing at MAGIC tackles trade, Africa and speed
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar