US: Carter's lifts FY outlook after strong Q3 profit
- Q3 profit up 72.4% to $59.4m
- Sales rose 4.5% to $668.7m
- Growth driven by international sales
US children's apparel specialist Carter's has lifted its full-year guidance after recording a 72.4% surge in third-quarter profits, helped by strong international demand.
Net income jumped to US$59.4m for the three months ended 29 September. The company, which operates more than 600 stores, said operating income increased 68% to 95.4m.
Net sales climbed 4.5% to $668.7m, primarily driven by international sales, which were up 16.9% to $69.4m. Net domestic sales of the company's Carter's brands grew 4.1% to $492.9m, while OshKosh B'gosh sales edged down 0.6% to $106.3m.
"We are reporting a record level of sales and earnings in our third quarter," said CEO and chairman Michael Casey.
"These results were driven by the growth of our direct-to-consumer businesses, higher sales of our Carter's and OshKosh B'gosh branded products in international markets, and an improvement in product costs.
"We believe consumers are responding to the compelling style, value, and convenience of our product offerings. To further strengthen our business, we are funding significant investments this year to support our multi-channel growth opportunities."
The company now expects full-year sales to rise 12% over the prior year, compared to earlier guidance of between 9% and 11%.
Consensus among industry executives seems clear that China's many advantages mean it will continue to be key to apparel sourcing strategies - despite its rising prices, labour issues, and government p...
Global Childrenswear industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains descrip...
As retailers struggle to differentiate themselves from their peers, and have little room to manoeuvre when it comes to mark-ups and markdowns, there's a growing awareness that the supply chain can con...
Childrenswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also co...
US department store operator JC Penney has been forced to abandon a central part of its turnaround plans after the strategy failed to gain traction with consumers. ...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Children's Wear in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Boys Wear, Girls Wear, and Infants & Toddlers Wear. The report provides separate compre...
US children's wear maker Carter's has recalled 218,000 pieces of infant clothing because the zipper pull can detach, posing a choking risk to young children....
Teen apparel retailer Delia's Inc has seen its fourth-quarter losses widen after it was hit by slower demand. ...
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Jeans in Italy
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects