US: Carter's optimistic despite Q4 decline
- Q4 earnings down 12.2%
- Net sales climb 11.7%
Children's wear company Carter's has said it is planning for "good growth" in its next fiscal year, despite recording a drop in earnings in its fourth-quarter.
Earnings in the three months ended 28 December dropped 12.2% to US$5.9m from $42.7m a year earlier. The decline was due to charges related to office consolidation, its acquisition of tradenames, and the exit of its retail operations in Japan.
Excluding these expenses, net income increased 4.6% to $56.2m.
Net sales climbed 11.7% in the quarter to $769.7m, while sales of the firm's Carter's brands grew 9.7% to $567.2m. International sales increased 33%, to $86.3m.
For fiscal 2014, the company has guided for a net revenue increase of 8% to 10%, and adjusted diluted EPS to increase 12% to 15%.
"Carter's achieved its 25th consecutive year of sales growth in 2013," said CEO Michael Casey. "We are planning good growth in sales and earnings in 2014, driven by our direct-to-consumer businesses in the US and Canada."
FBR Capital Markets analyst Susan Anderson, said: "We believe store sales have been surprisingly resilient in 1Q-to-date, particularly impressive given the adverse weather and weak traffic.
"Including e-commerce, the total company comp is likely solidly positive. Once the weather improves, we expect a boost from pent-up demand (given the stable/replenishment nature of children's clothing) that will likely disproportionately benefit outdoor stores (which have been weak)."
Formal wear tailoring firm Bagir Group is to embark on a two-year recovery plan to increase its competitiveness and save the business at least US$3m a year, after warning its full-year results will be...
Synopsis Canadean's "Carter's, Inc. - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products a...
Next's head of men's wear design, Simon Hawksworth, is to join UK retailer Marks & Spencer in the same role....
Introduction Global Childrenswear industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 20......
Prominent Europe has added the Simon Carter shirt, tie and tailoring business to its portfolio of brands, through a licensing deal....
Introduction Childrenswear in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value 2009-13, and ......
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Children's Wear in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Boys Wear, Girls Wear, and Infants & Toddlers Wear. The report provides separate compre...
Abstract About Children’s and Infant Wear Children's wear refers to clothing for children aged between 0 months to 10 years. It includes apparel such as outerwear, underwear, nightwear, socks and t...
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024