US: Carter’s Q3 profit down as cotton costs rise
- Q3 underlying profit down 20% to US$39.7m
- Net sales up 23.5% to $639.6m
- CEO “encouraged” by costs outlook
Children’s and baby apparel company Carter’s recorded a 20% drop in third quarter profit, impacted by higher cotton prices despite a 23.5% sales surge.
Domestic sales for the Carter’s brand were up 17.5%, while its OshKosh B’gosh brand recorded a 3.1% rise in sales.
Meanwhile, international sales built on a small base to reach $59.4m in the quarter, up from $11.4m in the same period last year.
“As expected, profitability this year has been affected by the abnormal spike in cotton prices,” said Michael Casey, Carter’s chairman and CEO.
“We are encouraged by the improved outlook on product costs and the continued support of our brands from consumers in all channels of distribution.”
The company expects full-year net sales to increase by about 19%, giving adjusted diluted earnings per share of about $1.88-1.93.
Children's and baby apparel company Carter's has today (26 April) posted a rise in first-quarter net profit, as a result of increased retail and international sales....
US children's apparel specialist Carter's is investing more than US$50m to set up a new multi-channel distribution centre in Braselton, Georgia....
The former president of Carter's Inc has been charged with a multi-million dollar securities fraud cover-up at the children's clothing maker between 2004 and December 2009....
Children's wear company Carters saw fourth-quarter profits slip as higher cotton prices and acquisition expenses offset rising sales....
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- Hanesbrands Q4 performance “disappoints”
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024