US: Carter’s Q3 profit down as cotton costs rise
- Q3 underlying profit down 20% to US$39.7m
- Net sales up 23.5% to $639.6m
- CEO “encouraged” by costs outlook
Children’s and baby apparel company Carter’s recorded a 20% drop in third quarter profit, impacted by higher cotton prices despite a 23.5% sales surge.
Domestic sales for the Carter’s brand were up 17.5%, while its OshKosh B’gosh brand recorded a 3.1% rise in sales.
Meanwhile, international sales built on a small base to reach $59.4m in the quarter, up from $11.4m in the same period last year.
“As expected, profitability this year has been affected by the abnormal spike in cotton prices,” said Michael Casey, Carter’s chairman and CEO.
“We are encouraged by the improved outlook on product costs and the continued support of our brands from consumers in all channels of distribution.”
The company expects full-year net sales to increase by about 19%, giving adjusted diluted earnings per share of about $1.88-1.93.
Children's and baby apparel company Carter's has today (26 April) posted a rise in first-quarter net profit, as a result of increased retail and international sales....
US children's apparel specialist Carter's is investing more than US$50m to set up a new multi-channel distribution centre in Braselton, Georgia....
The former president of Carter's Inc has been charged with a multi-million dollar securities fraud cover-up at the children's clothing maker between 2004 and December 2009....
Children's wear company Carters saw fourth-quarter profits slip as higher cotton prices and acquisition expenses offset rising sales....
- Levi Strauss raises the bar on sustainability
- Nike reaffirms US production commitment
- Gap and H&M back Myanmar path to labour reform
- H&M faces margin pressure on dollar impact
- Can the Gap brand reclaim its iconic status?
- Myanmar minimum wage set at US$3.2 per day
- Far Eastern to invest $323m in Vietnam textile hub
- Fast Retailing supplier continues strike talks
- Under Armour unveils newest retail presence
- Accord "concerned" at delays in remediation
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: The EU - May 2015
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015