US: Carter’s Q3 profit down as cotton costs rise
- Q3 underlying profit down 20% to US$39.7m
- Net sales up 23.5% to $639.6m
- CEO “encouraged” by costs outlook
Children’s and baby apparel company Carter’s recorded a 20% drop in third quarter profit, impacted by higher cotton prices despite a 23.5% sales surge.
Domestic sales for the Carter’s brand were up 17.5%, while its OshKosh B’gosh brand recorded a 3.1% rise in sales.
Meanwhile, international sales built on a small base to reach $59.4m in the quarter, up from $11.4m in the same period last year.
“As expected, profitability this year has been affected by the abnormal spike in cotton prices,” said Michael Casey, Carter’s chairman and CEO.
“We are encouraged by the improved outlook on product costs and the continued support of our brands from consumers in all channels of distribution.”
The company expects full-year net sales to increase by about 19%, giving adjusted diluted earnings per share of about $1.88-1.93.
Children's and baby apparel company Carter's has today (26 April) posted a rise in first-quarter net profit, as a result of increased retail and international sales....
US children's apparel specialist Carter's is investing more than US$50m to set up a new multi-channel distribution centre in Braselton, Georgia....
The former president of Carter's Inc has been charged with a multi-million dollar securities fraud cover-up at the children's clothing maker between 2004 and December 2009....
Children's wear company Carters saw fourth-quarter profits slip as higher cotton prices and acquisition expenses offset rising sales....
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam