US: Carter’s warns of rising costs after Q3 profit
- Q3 net earnings up 0.5% to US$49.7m
- Sales up 7.6% to $517.9m
- Warns cotton price hikes will hit earnings
Baby and young child apparel group Carter’s warned that the impact of cotton price rises would hit future earnings, after reporting a slight profit increase during the third quarter.
The caution came despite a 7.6% sales rise for the US company in the three months to 30 September.
“We achieved good growth in sales in the third quarter; however, higher transportation expenses resulted in a slight decline in [operating profit],” said Michael Casey, Carter’s chairman and CEO.
“While we expect to achieve a record level of sales and earnings in fiscal 2010 and expect continued growth in sales, we believe rising product costs, particularly historically high cotton prices, will negatively impact earnings in the fourth quarter and through 2011.”
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Teen apparel retailer Delia's has appointed Michael Zimmerman and Mario Ciampi to its board of directors, effective immediately....
Strong wholesale and retail demand for its Carter's and OshKosh B'gosh brands has helped Carter's Inc to a 5.8% rise in fourth quarter profit - but the children's wear maker warned that higher product...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016