US: Cato 3Q earnings tumble 24%
- Q3 profit fell 24% to $4.7m from $6.1m
- Sales slipped 2% to $197.6m from $194.1m
- Same-store sales also fell 2%
Value fashion retailer The Cato Corporation has updated its full-year earnings guidance after posting a 24% drop in third quarter profit.
"Our third quarter same-store sales reflect the difficult environment we have seen for much of the year," said president and CEO John Cato.
During the three months to 29 October, gross margin rate dropped to 34.0% from 35.2% last year, due to lower merchandise margins and higher occupancy costs related to store development.
The retailer, which operates 1,306 stores under the Cato, Versona and It's Fashion banners, expects fourth quarter earnings per share to be within original guidance of $0.38 to $0.42 - a rise of 9-20% on last year's $0.35.
For the year, earnings per share are seen in the range of $2.22 to $2.26, against $2.21 last year.
British fashion retailer Primark and Canadian brand Joe Fresh have confirmed that their garments were being manufactured in one of the Bangladesh factories that collapsed on Wednesday (24 April), kill...
Labour rights groups and unions have stepped up their calls for urgent action to improve worker health and safety in Bangladesh's ready-made garment industry, as the death toll from the collapsed Rana...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' February 2013 sales results. It is worth noting that from this month, a number of retailers are no longer reporting their sales res...
A group of Western clothing retailers and brands have agreed to a deadline later this month to finalise a fire and building safety plan aimed at preventing industrial disasters like the collapse last ...
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects