US: Cato 3Q earnings tumble 24%
- Q3 profit fell 24% to $4.7m from $6.1m
- Sales slipped 2% to $197.6m from $194.1m
- Same-store sales also fell 2%
Value fashion retailer The Cato Corporation has updated its full-year earnings guidance after posting a 24% drop in third quarter profit.
"Our third quarter same-store sales reflect the difficult environment we have seen for much of the year," said president and CEO John Cato.
During the three months to 29 October, gross margin rate dropped to 34.0% from 35.2% last year, due to lower merchandise margins and higher occupancy costs related to store development.
The retailer, which operates 1,306 stores under the Cato, Versona and It's Fashion banners, expects fourth quarter earnings per share to be within original guidance of $0.38 to $0.42 - a rise of 9-20% on last year's $0.35.
For the year, earnings per share are seen in the range of $2.22 to $2.26, against $2.21 last year.
British fashion retailer Primark and Canadian brand Joe Fresh have confirmed that their garments were being manufactured in one of the Bangladesh factories that collapsed on Wednesday (24 April), kill...
Labour rights groups and unions have stepped up their calls for urgent action to improve worker health and safety in Bangladesh's ready-made garment industry, as the death toll from the collapsed Rana...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' February 2013 sales results. It is worth noting that from this month, a number of retailers are no longer reporting their sales res...
A group of Western clothing retailers and brands have agreed to a deadline later this month to finalise a fire and building safety plan aimed at preventing industrial disasters like the collapse last ...
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Connected sourcing networks ease payment problems
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- Fashion brands facing strong dollar “headwind”
- Tommy Hilfiger digital showroom to reduce samples
- Talks underway on Myanmar minimum wage
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- C&A to boost opportunities for women in India
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead