US: Cato 3Q earnings tumble 24%
- Q3 profit fell 24% to $4.7m from $6.1m
- Sales slipped 2% to $197.6m from $194.1m
- Same-store sales also fell 2%
Value fashion retailer The Cato Corporation has updated its full-year earnings guidance after posting a 24% drop in third quarter profit.
"Our third quarter same-store sales reflect the difficult environment we have seen for much of the year," said president and CEO John Cato.
During the three months to 29 October, gross margin rate dropped to 34.0% from 35.2% last year, due to lower merchandise margins and higher occupancy costs related to store development.
The retailer, which operates 1,306 stores under the Cato, Versona and It's Fashion banners, expects fourth quarter earnings per share to be within original guidance of $0.38 to $0.42 - a rise of 9-20% on last year's $0.35.
For the year, earnings per share are seen in the range of $2.22 to $2.26, against $2.21 last year.
British fashion retailer Primark and Canadian brand Joe Fresh have confirmed that their garments were being manufactured in one of the Bangladesh factories that collapsed on Wednesday (24 April), kill...
Labour rights groups and unions have stepped up their calls for urgent action to improve worker health and safety in Bangladesh's ready-made garment industry, as the death toll from the collapsed Rana...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' February 2013 sales results. It is worth noting that from this month, a number of retailers are no longer reporting their sales res...
A group of Western clothing retailers and brands have agreed to a deadline later this month to finalise a fire and building safety plan aimed at preventing industrial disasters like the collapse last ...
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: Guess, PVH, Abercrombie & Fitch
- Gap restructuring weighs on Q2 as profit falls 34%
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Ralph Lauren debuts biometic smart shirt
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019