US: Cato blames retail slowdown for FY earnings slump
Cut-price retailer The Cato Corporation is forecasting continued gloom after reporting a 37% slump in full-year profits for fiscal 2007.
The company described its current inventory position as "fresh and in line with current sales expectations", but forecast no gross margin improvement for 2008.
It expects full-year comparable store sales to be flat to 3% down, with net income at US$21-27m.
The gloomy predictions come after Cato reported a fourth quarter loss of $1.8m in the three months to 2 February. Last year it posted a $12.7m profit.
Sales were down 9% to $209.4m. Full-year sales dipped 3% to $834.3m, while net income plunged 37% to $32.3m.
"Our 2007 results reflect the difficult retail environment," said John Cato, chairman, president and CEO.
"Our comparable store sales decrease and the resulting markdowns were the primary contributors to the lower earnings."
Cato also announced plans to expand the company's It's Fashion concept with the addition of 30 new stores operating under the It's Fashion Metro banner.
Capital expenditure is put at $19m, with $14m to be spent on store development, including the opening of 75 new stores overall.
Apparel retailer Dress Barn Inc has reported a 34.2% drop in fourth quarter profit, but said it is tackling the "challenging retail environment" through strong inventory controls to reduce markdowns a...
Claire's Stores posted second quarter EBITDA of US$58.1m, down 9.6% on last year's figures....
Retailer Bakers Footwear Group Inc has narrowed its second quarter loss after posting higher sales and stronger margins....
Improved gross margins helped drive fashion retailer Le Chateau to a 55.6% hike in second quarter profits, making up for the company's poor first quarter performance....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' August 2008 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available....
Women's fashion retailer The Cato Corporation has announced the promotion of John Howe to executive vice president, chief financial officer....
Footwear and hat retailer Genesco posted a wider second quarter loss of US$10.3m thanks mainly to tax liabilities linked to its failed merger with fellow retailer The Finish Line....
Clothing retailer and rental specialist The Men's Wearhouse recorded a 76% slump in second quarter profits, but saw its shares rise after beating market expectations....
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020