US: Cato cautious on FY amid Q3 sales fall
- Q3 profit rose 4% to $6.1m from $5.9m
- Sales were down 2% to $194.1m from $198.2m
- Same-store sales dropped 3%
Value fashion retailer The Cato Corporation expects full-year earnings to come in at the low end of forecasts after seeing third-quarter sales fall amid difficult economic conditions.
The company, which operates the Cato, Versona and It's Fashion stores, booked a 4% rise in quarterly profit thanks to efforts to maintain merchandise margin and control costs. But gross margin rate fell to 35.2% from 35.9% last year, which is said was due to higher occupancy costs related to store development.
"Our third quarter same-store sales decrease reflects the continuing difficult economic situation facing our customers," said chairman, president and CEO John Cato.
"However, due to our current same-store sales trend, we now expect fourth quarter earnings per diluted share will be at the lower end of our original guidance of $0.32 to $0.35 versus $0.37 last year.
"For the year, earnings per diluted share are estimated to be in the range of $2.18 to $2.21 vs. $2.00 last year, as restated, an increase of 9% to 11%."
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' April 2012 sales results....
A winning combination of warmer weather, an earlier Easter, new spring fashions and an improving economy helped a number of US apparel retailers to higher same-store sales for March, according to data...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' March 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' February 2012 sales results....
- Under Armour on track with new UAS sportswear line
- Myanmar garment exports surged 20% in 2015
- EU trade ministers push on TTIP and Canada pacts
- Unravelling cotton's supply and demand challenges
- What does the future hold for world wool supply?
- US retailers urge action on Hanjin Shipping crisis
- Zara launches eco-friendly Join Life collection
- Adidas unveils first Speedfactory running shoe
- Brexit may hit suppliers with UK duty-free access
- Bangladesh calls for US duty-free apparel access
- Too Many Standards
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Ralph Lauren Corporation : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras