US: Cato lowers forecast despite Q2 profit rise
- Q2 profit rose to $18.1m from $17.0m
- Sales edged up 1% to $234.1m
- Same-store sales decreased 1%
Value-priced fashion retailer The Cato Corporation has managed to lift its second quarter profit by 7%, but warned rising raw material costs will have a negative effect on second half performance.
"Same-store sales for the second quarter were within our estimated range and we were able to control expenses well," said chairman, president and CEO John Cato. "Our same-store sales trend reflects the difficult economic conditions and uncertainty affecting our customers, especially the lower income customer."
Higher markdowns also ate into the retailer's second quarter gross margin, which slipped to 38.0% from 39.0% last year.
The company now expects earnings per share for second half of the year to be at the low end of its original guidance range of $2.15 to $2.21, versus $2.00 last year.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' January 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' December 2011 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' November 2011 sales results....
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details