US: Cato lowers forecast despite Q2 profit rise
- Q2 profit rose to $18.1m from $17.0m
- Sales edged up 1% to $234.1m
- Same-store sales decreased 1%
Value-priced fashion retailer The Cato Corporation has managed to lift its second quarter profit by 7%, but warned rising raw material costs will have a negative effect on second half performance.
"Same-store sales for the second quarter were within our estimated range and we were able to control expenses well," said chairman, president and CEO John Cato. "Our same-store sales trend reflects the difficult economic conditions and uncertainty affecting our customers, especially the lower income customer."
Higher markdowns also ate into the retailer's second quarter gross margin, which slipped to 38.0% from 39.0% last year.
The company now expects earnings per share for second half of the year to be at the low end of its original guidance range of $2.15 to $2.21, versus $2.00 last year.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' January 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' December 2011 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' November 2011 sales results....
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Common themes unite Inditex and H&M supply chains
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Cambodia sets new minimum wage at US$140
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- Vietnam releases new textile dye regulations
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry