US: Cato lowers forecast despite Q2 profit rise
- Q2 profit rose to $18.1m from $17.0m
- Sales edged up 1% to $234.1m
- Same-store sales decreased 1%
Value-priced fashion retailer The Cato Corporation has managed to lift its second quarter profit by 7%, but warned rising raw material costs will have a negative effect on second half performance.
"Same-store sales for the second quarter were within our estimated range and we were able to control expenses well," said chairman, president and CEO John Cato. "Our same-store sales trend reflects the difficult economic conditions and uncertainty affecting our customers, especially the lower income customer."
Higher markdowns also ate into the retailer's second quarter gross margin, which slipped to 38.0% from 39.0% last year.
The company now expects earnings per share for second half of the year to be at the low end of its original guidance range of $2.15 to $2.21, versus $2.00 last year.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' January 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' December 2011 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' November 2011 sales results....
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- ANALYSIS: Back-to-school spending a waiting game
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- Weak traffic slows sales for Abercrombie & Fitch
- Myanmar and US to develop labour rights initiative
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report