US: Cato posts 4% increase in first-quarter net income
- Net income up 4% to US$31.7m
- Sales flat at $272.8m
- Same store sales fell 2%
Cato has reported a 4% increase in first quarter net income as the company said it sold more higher margin merchandise.
The US clothing retailer said yesterday (17 May) that net income reached US$31.7m against $30.5m in the same period of the prior year.
Sales were broadly flat on the previous year at US$272.8m, as same-store sales declined 2% over the quarter. Gross margin increased 60 basis points to 42.1% due to a higher merchandise contribution over the quarter.
"Although the level of sales by month varied due to unexpected circumstances including early warm weather and the delay of tax refunds, first quarter sales overall were within our expectations and reflect the continuing difficult economic environment for our customers," said chairman, president and CEO John Cato.
"Higher merchandise margin and lower accrued incentive compensation had the largest impact in the quarter.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' October 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' September 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' August 2012 sales results. ...
Value fashion retailer The Cato Corporation has updated its full-year earnings guidance after posting a 24% drop in third quarter profit....
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Retailers warned of high volatility in Brexit wake
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Alliance cuts ties with three more factories
- Online fabric platform to "revolutionise" buying
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Denmark