US: Cato posts 4% increase in first-quarter net income
- Net income up 4% to US$31.7m
- Sales flat at $272.8m
- Same store sales fell 2%
Cato has reported a 4% increase in first quarter net income as the company said it sold more higher margin merchandise.
The US clothing retailer said yesterday (17 May) that net income reached US$31.7m against $30.5m in the same period of the prior year.
Sales were broadly flat on the previous year at US$272.8m, as same-store sales declined 2% over the quarter. Gross margin increased 60 basis points to 42.1% due to a higher merchandise contribution over the quarter.
"Although the level of sales by month varied due to unexpected circumstances including early warm weather and the delay of tax refunds, first quarter sales overall were within our expectations and reflect the continuing difficult economic environment for our customers," said chairman, president and CEO John Cato.
"Higher merchandise margin and lower accrued incentive compensation had the largest impact in the quarter.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' October 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' September 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' August 2012 sales results. ...
Value fashion retailer The Cato Corporation has updated its full-year earnings guidance after posting a 24% drop in third quarter profit....
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Adidas sells Rockport for $280m to focus on sports
- Adidas and Timberland commit to responsible down
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024