US: Cato posts 4% increase in first-quarter net income
- Net income up 4% to US$31.7m
- Sales flat at $272.8m
- Same store sales fell 2%
Cato has reported a 4% increase in first quarter net income as the company said it sold more higher margin merchandise.
The US clothing retailer said yesterday (17 May) that net income reached US$31.7m against $30.5m in the same period of the prior year.
Sales were broadly flat on the previous year at US$272.8m, as same-store sales declined 2% over the quarter. Gross margin increased 60 basis points to 42.1% due to a higher merchandise contribution over the quarter.
"Although the level of sales by month varied due to unexpected circumstances including early warm weather and the delay of tax refunds, first quarter sales overall were within our expectations and reflect the continuing difficult economic environment for our customers," said chairman, president and CEO John Cato.
"Higher merchandise margin and lower accrued incentive compensation had the largest impact in the quarter.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' October 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' September 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' August 2012 sales results. ...
Value fashion retailer The Cato Corporation has updated its full-year earnings guidance after posting a 24% drop in third quarter profit....
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- US retailers' March 2014 sales roundup
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- VF Corp eyes speed to market with China hub
- City sees "no quick fix" for Debenhams
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Jeans in Italy
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects