US: Cato posts 4% increase in first-quarter net income
- Net income up 4% to US$31.7m
- Sales flat at $272.8m
- Same store sales fell 2%
Cato has reported a 4% increase in first quarter net income as the company said it sold more higher margin merchandise.
The US clothing retailer said yesterday (17 May) that net income reached US$31.7m against $30.5m in the same period of the prior year.
Sales were broadly flat on the previous year at US$272.8m, as same-store sales declined 2% over the quarter. Gross margin increased 60 basis points to 42.1% due to a higher merchandise contribution over the quarter.
"Although the level of sales by month varied due to unexpected circumstances including early warm weather and the delay of tax refunds, first quarter sales overall were within our expectations and reflect the continuing difficult economic environment for our customers," said chairman, president and CEO John Cato.
"Higher merchandise margin and lower accrued incentive compensation had the largest impact in the quarter.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' October 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' September 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' August 2012 sales results. ...
Value fashion retailer The Cato Corporation has updated its full-year earnings guidance after posting a 24% drop in third quarter profit....
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Smart sportswear faces mass production challenges
- Frank Henke discusses Adidas sustainability agenda
- Lesotho risks garment job losses if AGOA lapses
- “Unsafe” Bangladesh factory refuses to evacuate
- Cambodia labour abuse claims disputed
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- Garment factory tool to improve communication
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019