US: Cato posts 4% increase in first-quarter net income
- Net income up 4% to US$31.7m
- Sales flat at $272.8m
- Same store sales fell 2%
Cato has reported a 4% increase in first quarter net income as the company said it sold more higher margin merchandise.
The US clothing retailer said yesterday (17 May) that net income reached US$31.7m against $30.5m in the same period of the prior year.
Sales were broadly flat on the previous year at US$272.8m, as same-store sales declined 2% over the quarter. Gross margin increased 60 basis points to 42.1% due to a higher merchandise contribution over the quarter.
"Although the level of sales by month varied due to unexpected circumstances including early warm weather and the delay of tax refunds, first quarter sales overall were within our expectations and reflect the continuing difficult economic environment for our customers," said chairman, president and CEO John Cato.
"Higher merchandise margin and lower accrued incentive compensation had the largest impact in the quarter.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' October 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' September 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' August 2012 sales results. ...
Value fashion retailer The Cato Corporation has updated its full-year earnings guidance after posting a 24% drop in third quarter profit....
- Alliance and Accord urged to harmonise efforts
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Apparel is third-largest re-shored US sector
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Trial cotton subsidy scheme underway in China
- China dye-maker to shut after desert pollution
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Clothing Manufacturers (Global) - Industry Report