US: Cato posts 4.4% decline in second-quarter net income
US clothing retailer Cato reported a 4.4% decline in second quarter net income as it faced a challenging consumer environment.
The company booked US$17.3m net income over the quarter ended 28 July against $18.1m in the prior year period.
Sales fell 1% to $234.1m, while same-store sales declined 4%. Gross margins improved slightly to 38.4% from 38%, which the group attributed to better merchandise margins, although this was somewhat offset by higher store occupancy.
"As we have noted all year, same-store sales have been volatile and have been affected by our customers' uncertainty regarding the country's economic and political situation," said chairman, president and CEO John Cato.
"We expect this difficult environment to continue in the second half. We expect earnings per diluted share for second half of the year will be within our original guidance range of $.50 to $.59."
2013 got off to a strong start for US clothing and footwear retailers in January, with many reporting their best performance since September 2011....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' January 2013 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' December 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' November 2012 sales results....
- Garment firms set sights on Vietnam amid TPP talks
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Changes in China cotton policies cause uncertainty
- Responsive supply chain key to Gap's growth plans
- String traceability tool goes back to basics
- Wage strike by Cambodia garment workers falls flat
- H&M still committed to higher wages and Bangladesh
- Vietnam Q1 textile and garment exports surge 21.9%
- Alliance inspections more than 50% complete
- Adidas supplier factory strike enters second week
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy