US: Cato posts 4.4% decline in second-quarter net income
US clothing retailer Cato reported a 4.4% decline in second quarter net income as it faced a challenging consumer environment.
The company booked US$17.3m net income over the quarter ended 28 July against $18.1m in the prior year period.
Sales fell 1% to $234.1m, while same-store sales declined 4%. Gross margins improved slightly to 38.4% from 38%, which the group attributed to better merchandise margins, although this was somewhat offset by higher store occupancy.
"As we have noted all year, same-store sales have been volatile and have been affected by our customers' uncertainty regarding the country's economic and political situation," said chairman, president and CEO John Cato.
"We expect this difficult environment to continue in the second half. We expect earnings per diluted share for second half of the year will be within our original guidance range of $.50 to $.59."
2013 got off to a strong start for US clothing and footwear retailers in January, with many reporting their best performance since September 2011....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' January 2013 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' December 2012 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' November 2012 sales results....
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- No simple way to be sustainable, says SAC CEO
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- Li & Fung eyes supply chain speed in 3-year plan
- EU clothing imports from China continue to plunge
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- US Q2 in brief - Sears, Burlington, Tilly's
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras