US: Cato Q4 profit drops on “difficult” trading
- Q4 net profit down 7.3% to US$10.1m
- Sales down 1% to $221.5m
- CEO highlights “difficult” H2
Value-led clothing retailer The Cato Corporation recorded a 7% drop in fourth quarter profit, impacted by a slight revenue decline and a 4% fall in comparable store sales.
For the full year, sales were up 1% to $920.6m and comparable store sales declined by 1%, yielding net income of $64.8m, up 10%.
“The second half of the year was very difficult both in terms of the sales environment and the increased merchandise costs we faced,” said John Cato, chairman, president and CEO.
“In the fourth quarter, sales were below expectations but we were able to generate earnings within our original guidance.”
The company is forecasting same store sales flat to down 2% for fiscal 2012, alongside net income of $61.3-65.9m.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' August 2012 sales results. ...
Lured by warm weather and promotions to clear summer merchandise, US shoppers hit the stores in July giving an overall boost to many apparel retailers - but the results shed little light on back-to-sc...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' July 2012 sales results....
A number of US retailers have reported worse than expected June sales after experiencing rocky demand across the month....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Kurt Cavano on “the Uberfication of everything”
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- H&M offers $1m grant for sustainable innovations
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019