US: Cato Q4 profit drops on “difficult” trading
- Q4 net profit down 7.3% to US$10.1m
- Sales down 1% to $221.5m
- CEO highlights “difficult” H2
Value-led clothing retailer The Cato Corporation recorded a 7% drop in fourth quarter profit, impacted by a slight revenue decline and a 4% fall in comparable store sales.
For the full year, sales were up 1% to $920.6m and comparable store sales declined by 1%, yielding net income of $64.8m, up 10%.
“The second half of the year was very difficult both in terms of the sales environment and the increased merchandise costs we faced,” said John Cato, chairman, president and CEO.
“In the fourth quarter, sales were below expectations but we were able to generate earnings within our original guidance.”
The company is forecasting same store sales flat to down 2% for fiscal 2012, alongside net income of $61.3-65.9m.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' August 2012 sales results. ...
Lured by warm weather and promotions to clear summer merchandise, US shoppers hit the stores in July giving an overall boost to many apparel retailers - but the results shed little light on back-to-sc...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' July 2012 sales results....
A number of US retailers have reported worse than expected June sales after experiencing rocky demand across the month....
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- US Q2 in brief - Carter's, Wolverine Worldwide
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Southeast Asia & Central America strategic sourcing reviews package deal
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis