US: Cato Q4 profit drops on “difficult” trading
- Q4 net profit down 7.3% to US$10.1m
- Sales down 1% to $221.5m
- CEO highlights “difficult” H2
Value-led clothing retailer The Cato Corporation recorded a 7% drop in fourth quarter profit, impacted by a slight revenue decline and a 4% fall in comparable store sales.
For the full year, sales were up 1% to $920.6m and comparable store sales declined by 1%, yielding net income of $64.8m, up 10%.
“The second half of the year was very difficult both in terms of the sales environment and the increased merchandise costs we faced,” said John Cato, chairman, president and CEO.
“In the fourth quarter, sales were below expectations but we were able to generate earnings within our original guidance.”
The company is forecasting same store sales flat to down 2% for fiscal 2012, alongside net income of $61.3-65.9m.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' August 2012 sales results. ...
Lured by warm weather and promotions to clear summer merchandise, US shoppers hit the stores in July giving an overall boost to many apparel retailers - but the results shed little light on back-to-sc...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' July 2012 sales results....
A number of US retailers have reported worse than expected June sales after experiencing rocky demand across the month....
- Global supply chain trends at Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- Nike and Apollo create supply chain partnership
- US Q2 in brief - Express, The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- THE GAP, INC.: Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis