US: Cato Q4 profit drops on “difficult” trading
- Q4 net profit down 7.3% to US$10.1m
- Sales down 1% to $221.5m
- CEO highlights “difficult” H2
Value-led clothing retailer The Cato Corporation recorded a 7% drop in fourth quarter profit, impacted by a slight revenue decline and a 4% fall in comparable store sales.
For the full year, sales were up 1% to $920.6m and comparable store sales declined by 1%, yielding net income of $64.8m, up 10%.
“The second half of the year was very difficult both in terms of the sales environment and the increased merchandise costs we faced,” said John Cato, chairman, president and CEO.
“In the fourth quarter, sales were below expectations but we were able to generate earnings within our original guidance.”
The company is forecasting same store sales flat to down 2% for fiscal 2012, alongside net income of $61.3-65.9m.
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' August 2012 sales results. ...
Lured by warm weather and promotions to clear summer merchandise, US shoppers hit the stores in July giving an overall boost to many apparel retailers - but the results shed little light on back-to-sc...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' July 2012 sales results....
A number of US retailers have reported worse than expected June sales after experiencing rocky demand across the month....
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Smart sportswear faces mass production challenges
- Frank Henke discusses Adidas sustainability agenda
- Lesotho risks garment job losses if AGOA lapses
- “Unsafe” Bangladesh factory refuses to evacuate
- Cambodia labour abuse claims disputed
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- Garment factory tool to improve communication
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019