AMC-Target, Colby, Gap, Lerner, Mast Industries and Wal-Mart were among the companies honoured at the CBI Regional Development Awards staged in Guatemala City this week.

Recognising the companies and individuals who have contributed to the development of the apparel and textile industries in the region - which together generate more than 500,000 jobs and exported goods worth US$3.92 million to the US in 2003 - the event was staged on the first night of the 13th Apparel Sourcing Show.

Picking the winners from more than 1000 apparel factories in the CBI region were trade associations Vestex (Guatemala), ASIC/Unitex (El Salvador), AHM (Honduras), ANITEC (Nicaragua), CATECO (Costa Rica), and CNZF (Dominican Republic).

Around 75 per cent of the region's apparel production consists of knits, while the remaining 25 per cent is in wovens. Cotton trousers and shorts, underwear and knitted cotton shirts are the leading exports. Winners in the full package apparel factories category were: CASA, Cia. Textil Centroamericana, Confecciones del Valle, Empresas T&M, Hugger de Honduras, Presitex, San Pedro Disenos, Sam Bridge and Textile Unlimited.

The 75 textile mills produce a range of products including cotton thread, woven and knitted fabrics. Those honoured with special recognition were Dominican Knits, JH Brostex, Rayones de El Salvador, Tejidos y Colores Rosario, Texibe, Texpasa and Woong Chun.

Last but not least, more than 390 comanies supply a range of accessories and services covering zippers, buttons, buckles, elastics, labels, embroidery and screenprinting, sample making and CAD/CAM services. Leading the field this year were Eltitex, DHL, Hilos A&E, Notions Dominicana, Paxar de Honduras, and YKK El Salvador.

By Leonie Barrie.