US: CBP reveals results of foreign textile factory visits
US customs and Border Protection (CBP) has revealed the results of foreign factory visits conducted by its textile production verification teams during 2011.
• Of the 174 factories CBP visited in nine countries in Latin America, the Middle East and Africa for illegal transshipment verifications, 21 were closed and 21 were deemed high-risk. One of the factories refused to admit CBP inspectors or produce requested documents, and evidence of transshipment was found at two factories.
• In Lesotho, nine factories were found to be compliant with the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA), none of the factories visited were in violation, and two had insufficient documents to support AGOA claims.
• CBP found 59 factories in five countries were in compliance with DR-CAFTA while ten were in violation, 17 had insufficient documents to support DR-CAFTA claims, and 13 were closed.
• Ten factories in Jordan were determined to be in compliance with the US-Jordan FTA, none were in violation, three had insufficient documents to support FTA claims and two were closed.
• In Egypt, CBP found 14 factories that were in compliance with requirements under the Qualifying Industrial Zone (QIZ) programme and none that were not, although seven had insufficient documentation to support QIZ claims and one was closed.
• CBP found nine factories in Peru were compliant under the US-Peru FTA but 11 had insufficient documents to support FTA claims and two were closed.
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Tesco's H1 profit plunge: What the analysts say
- Asos FY profit drop: What the analysts say
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Collapsed Cambodia factory had structural issues
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre