US: CBP reveals results of foreign textile factory visits
US customs and Border Protection (CBP) has revealed the results of foreign factory visits conducted by its textile production verification teams during 2011.
• Of the 174 factories CBP visited in nine countries in Latin America, the Middle East and Africa for illegal transshipment verifications, 21 were closed and 21 were deemed high-risk. One of the factories refused to admit CBP inspectors or produce requested documents, and evidence of transshipment was found at two factories.
• In Lesotho, nine factories were found to be compliant with the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA), none of the factories visited were in violation, and two had insufficient documents to support AGOA claims.
• CBP found 59 factories in five countries were in compliance with DR-CAFTA while ten were in violation, 17 had insufficient documents to support DR-CAFTA claims, and 13 were closed.
• Ten factories in Jordan were determined to be in compliance with the US-Jordan FTA, none were in violation, three had insufficient documents to support FTA claims and two were closed.
• In Egypt, CBP found 14 factories that were in compliance with requirements under the Qualifying Industrial Zone (QIZ) programme and none that were not, although seven had insufficient documentation to support QIZ claims and one was closed.
• CBP found nine factories in Peru were compliant under the US-Peru FTA but 11 had insufficient documents to support FTA claims and two were closed.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yarn-forward rules weigh on Vietnam TPP potential
- Is China really going through a slump?
- TPP likely to lead to rise in US apparel imports
- Footwear to see "significant" gains from TPP
- Can supplier ratings reform purchasing practices?
- Gap to close 75 stores amid "disastrous" Q1
- US Q1 in brief: Buckle, Destination XL
- H&M criticised for India, Cambodia labour abuses
- Victoria's Secret discontinue swimwear to simplify
- Labour may limit Malaysia TPP apparel shipments