US: Charges inflict Q4 loss on Warnaco
- Q4 net loss US$6.6m, versus $28m profit
- Revenues up 4% to $614.7m
- CEO focuses on Calvin Klein, international, direct-to-consumer
Apparel business Warnaco suffered a net loss in the fourth quarter of 2011, impacted by one-off charges related to restructuring and pensions.
Revenues and gross margins both rose in the period ended 31 December, but full-year profit also declined, down 10.5% to US$132.3m.
The owner of the Calvin Klein brand pointed to a full-year revenue rise of 9.5% to $2.5bn, boosted by international revenue growth of 17% and a 28% hike in direct-to-consumer revenues, with comparable store sales up 4%.
Meanwhile, sales of the Calvin Klein brand were up 12% on the year, the company added.
“We remained focused on our key strategic initiatives, growing our Calvin Klein businesses, extending our international reach, building our direct-to-consumer platform and improving the profitability of our Heritage brands,” said Helen McCluskey, Warnaco president and CEO.
“We continue to see significant opportunities to improve our operating results as we leverage our diversified global model, exploit the power of our brands, increase our market share in key areas and expand into new territories.”
In fiscal 2012, Warnaco expects to post a 4-6% increase in net revenues and adjusted, diluted earnings per share of $4.20-4.45.
The revamp of apparel group Warnaco's operations - in terms of both channels and regions - has been hindered by external factors including one-off charges and currency fluctuations....
Lingerie and activewear manufacturer Tefron has swung to a second-quarter net profit on the back of increased sales of seamless apparel....
Active wear company Lululemon Athletica is suing PVH's Calvin Klein and G-III Apparel Group over alleged trouser patent infringements. ...
G-III Apparel Group has acquired men's luxury swimwear and resort-wear brand Vilebrequin from Fashion Fund One. ...
Apparel group Warnaco has cut its full-year projections for revenues and earnings after second quarter profit slumped 79%, hit by a $12m charge linked to its 2008 sale of lingerie brand Lejaby....
Brand management company Cherokee has appointed Frank Tworecke to its board of directors, replacing Dave Mullen, who has retired....
US apparel company Perry Ellis has appointed Denise Miller as president of Rafaella Sportswear. ...
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- China and ASEAN upgrade FTA
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015