US: Charles Philip accuses Gap of copying loafers
Footwear brand Charles Philip has filed a lawsuit against US clothing brand Gap Inc, accusing it of copying its signature loafers and stripes.
The suit alleges that the clothing giant has knowingly, wilfully and unlawfully used and misappropriated Charles Philip's name and likeness for its own products.
The range of loafers in question replicate multiple pairs of Philip's collection, and feature lining that is similar to Charles Philip's signature striped insole. Style names like Phillip Moccasin Slipper and Phillip Slipper were stamped inside the insoles, according to court documents.
Andrea Bates, the attorney representing Charles Philip and brand owner Jumbo Bright Trading, told just-style that Gap has already been asked to stop using the designs and the Phillip name, and to pay damages.
"Gap basically took an entire collection of Charles Philip, created a cheap poor quality replica of the line and are selling it under the Phillip name for a fraction of the price. It is very disappointing that such a well known company, such as the Gap, would engage in such activity," she said.
Gap declined to comment on the suit.
A group of North American retailers has gone its own way on strengthening safety efforts at Bangladesh garment factories, setting up a new initiative said to offer a long-term solution that also offer...
More retailers and brands have joined the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh ahead of the midnight deadline (15 May). ...
Marks & Spencer has become the latest retailer to join the new Bangladesh Fire and Building Safety Accord, which is intended to improve safety in the country's garment factories....
US retailer Gap has said it will sign the new Bangladesh Fire and Building Safety Accord, if the agreement on how disputes are resolved is modified....
Two more European retailers have this-afternoon signed up to the new Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh, which aims to improve safety conditions in supplier factories....
Wedding dress retailer David's Bridal Inc has appointed Pamela Wallack, the head of Gap's Global Creative Center in New York, as its new chief executive officer....
Gap Inc has said that net sales increased 7% over the first quarter, with growth driven by Gap and Old Navy. ...
- Trump’s China tariff a self-serving sound-bite
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Bad sourcing blamed for pressure on retail margins
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Primark continues US expansion with third store
- $360m logistics investment to benefit Bangladesh
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)