US: Charles Philip accuses Gap of copying loafers
Footwear brand Charles Philip has filed a lawsuit against US clothing brand Gap Inc, accusing it of copying its signature loafers and stripes.
The suit alleges that the clothing giant has knowingly, wilfully and unlawfully used and misappropriated Charles Philip's name and likeness for its own products.
The range of loafers in question replicate multiple pairs of Philip's collection, and feature lining that is similar to Charles Philip's signature striped insole. Style names like Phillip Moccasin Slipper and Phillip Slipper were stamped inside the insoles, according to court documents.
Andrea Bates, the attorney representing Charles Philip and brand owner Jumbo Bright Trading, told just-style that Gap has already been asked to stop using the designs and the Phillip name, and to pay damages.
"Gap basically took an entire collection of Charles Philip, created a cheap poor quality replica of the line and are selling it under the Phillip name for a fraction of the price. It is very disappointing that such a well known company, such as the Gap, would engage in such activity," she said.
Gap declined to comment on the suit.
The Gap Inc offers casual, mid-tier clothing to Mexican consumers through department stores and recently in 2012 by opening its first flagship Gap store in the country....
A group of North American retailers has gone its own way on strengthening safety efforts at Bangladesh garment factories, setting up a new initiative said to offer a long-term solution that also offer...
Menswear in France industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains descripti...
More retailers and brands have joined the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh ahead of the midnight deadline (15 May). ...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Sports and Fitness Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Sports Apparel, and Fitness Clothing. The report provides separate comprehe...
Marks & Spencer has become the latest retailer to join the new Bangladesh Fire and Building Safety Accord, which is intended to improve safety in the country's garment factories....
This report analyzes the worldwide market for Denim Jeans in US$ Million and Million Units....
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Change management key to PLM project success
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies