US: Charles Philip accuses Gap of copying loafers
Footwear brand Charles Philip has filed a lawsuit against US clothing brand Gap Inc, accusing it of copying its signature loafers and stripes.
The suit alleges that the clothing giant has knowingly, wilfully and unlawfully used and misappropriated Charles Philip's name and likeness for its own products.
The range of loafers in question replicate multiple pairs of Philip's collection, and feature lining that is similar to Charles Philip's signature striped insole. Style names like Phillip Moccasin Slipper and Phillip Slipper were stamped inside the insoles, according to court documents.
Andrea Bates, the attorney representing Charles Philip and brand owner Jumbo Bright Trading, told just-style that Gap has already been asked to stop using the designs and the Phillip name, and to pay damages.
"Gap basically took an entire collection of Charles Philip, created a cheap poor quality replica of the line and are selling it under the Phillip name for a fraction of the price. It is very disappointing that such a well known company, such as the Gap, would engage in such activity," she said.
Gap declined to comment on the suit.
The Gap Inc offers casual, mid-tier clothing to Mexican consumers through department stores and recently in 2012 by opening its first flagship Gap store in the country....
A group of North American retailers has gone its own way on strengthening safety efforts at Bangladesh garment factories, setting up a new initiative said to offer a long-term solution that also offer...
Menswear in France industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains descripti...
More retailers and brands have joined the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh ahead of the midnight deadline (15 May). ...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Sports and Fitness Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Sports Apparel, and Fitness Clothing. The report provides separate comprehe...
Marks & Spencer has become the latest retailer to join the new Bangladesh Fire and Building Safety Accord, which is intended to improve safety in the country's garment factories....
This report analyzes the worldwide market for Denim Jeans in US$ Million and Million Units....
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy