UK: China's Sanpower acquires House of Fraser for GBP480m
Nanjing Xinjiekou has bought an 89% stake in House of Fraser
The Shanghai-listed retail arm of Chinese conglomerate Sanpower Group has secured an 89% stake in UK department store retailer House of Fraser.
Nanjing Xinjiekou Department Store Co., signed the definitive agreement late last week in a deal worth GBP480m (US$803m). The two companies were reported to have been in talks over a potential deal for some months.
Yuan Yafei, chairman of Sanpower, said the acquisition is "a landmark transaction" for a Chinese listed company.
"House of Fraser is a strong and iconic heritage brand in the UK and abroad, with exceptional fashion credentials. With House of Fraser, we see significant opportunities to develop the business further and replicate the already successful model in international markets, in particular in China."
The acquisition marks the largest cross-border direct acquisition by a Chinese non-state-owned A-share listed company, and the largest overseas acquisition in the retail sector by a Chinese business.
House of Fraser executive chairman Don McCarthy, added: "Our announcement opens an extremely exciting chapter in the story of House of Fraser. The acquisition by Nanjing Cenbest will allow House of Fraser's management team to continue to grow and invest in the business in the UK and Ireland, provide a strong platform from which to expand the brand in international markets and to further develop our multichannel, stores and premium fashion offering."
McCarthy will step down as executive chairman of House of Fraser upon completion of the transaction, which is expected to close in around four months.
What key strengths and strategies are helping retailers to take the lead? Building fully integrated and flexible supply chains, with an end-to-end focus on ethics and responsibility will help to separ...
One of the biggest challenges - and opportunities - facing the apparel industry in 2015 is how best to embrace the omni-channel retail model, improve the shopping experience, and respond with new supp...
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- US Q2 in brief - Express, The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory