BANGLADESH: Chinese delegation explores sourcing opportunities
Efforts to encourage Chinese investment in Bangladesh's textile and clothing sector, as well as boost bilateral trade between the two countries, got underway this week.
The China National Textile and Apparel Council (CNTAC) has signed two agreements with Bangladesh's apex apparel bodies, the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) and the Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BKMEA).
Under the deals, the parties will co-operate each other in expanding trade, industrial development, exploring potential areas for investment and exchanging information on education, science and technology on a regular basis.
"Bangladesh's garment industry is booming and it has a very good future. So we're interested to join in the industry," Lin Yunfeng, deputy director of CNTAC, told reporters after the signing of the agreements.
"China itself is a huge market for Bangladesh and with its per capita income and standard of living, the need for clothing is also growing there," added BGMEA president Shafiul Islam Mohiuddin.
The visiting Chinese delegation has been urged to invest in the potential high value added products such as tailoring, as well as the spinning and weaving sectors.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019