BELGIUM: Chinese Shoes Dispute Looming?
A new EU trade dispute over Chinese imports - this time about shoes - could be on the cards next year.
The Daily Telegraph has reported that a group of representatives from UK companies including Next, Clarks and New Look met with the European Commission on Wednesday to encourage them not to deploy protectionist measures on Chinese and Vietnamese shoe imports.
Retailers fear shoe prices could shoot up if the EC places additional duties on imports from China and Vietnam.
But European shoe makers - particularly from Italy - maintain that surging cheap competition from low-cost countries such as China and Vietnam could badly damage their industries.
EU trade officials are investigating accusations that China is engaging in the 'dumping' (sale of goods for less than their production price) of footwear in Europe.
Feet are going to be warm and cosy next winter. Fur, both real and synthetic, was all around at the latest GDS shoe fair in Germany, on the inside and outside of shoes as well as boots, writes Penny L...
Italian shoemaker Geox, known for its 'breathing' shoes, expects sales to rise 50% in Spain this year, a spokeswoman confirmed to just-style on Tuesday (7 February)....
Charity Steps has launched a campaign against shoe chain Clarks after the latter scrapped its unique scheme for children with irregular sized feet....
Consumer products group Pacific Brands has agreed to acquire New Zealand-based thermal wear and bedwares business Arthur Ellis for NZD13.2 million....
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack