UK: Clarks Axes West Country Jobs
The firm has been in Barnstaple for 35 years. But after the announcement of job cuts, many feel it is only a matter of time before the factory closes for good.
John Keery, spokesman for Clarks Ltd, yesterday told the Western Morning News that: "The plant will remain open as long as it remains competitive."
Competition from low labour cost countries has been blamed for the decision.
Companies: C&J Clark International
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Feet are going to be warm and cosy next winter. Fur, both real and synthetic, was all around at the latest GDS shoe fair in Germany, on the inside and outside of shoes as well as boots, writes Penny L...
Italian shoemaker Geox, known for its 'breathing' shoes, expects sales to rise 50% in Spain this year, a spokeswoman confirmed to just-style on Tuesday (7 February)....
Charity Steps has launched a campaign against shoe chain Clarks after the latter scrapped its unique scheme for children with irregular sized feet....
Consumer products group Pacific Brands has agreed to acquire New Zealand-based thermal wear and bedwares business Arthur Ellis for NZD13.2 million....
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022