USA: Clinton Reaches Agreement With India On Textile Tariffs
The United States and India have reached an agreement on textiles and apparel that the Clinton administration said Friday should significantly increase sales opportunities for American companies. The deal was announced during a state visit by Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Under the agreement, India will establish tariff ceilings that will keep its border taxes on American textile and apparel products from going above certain levels. "This agreement paves the way for US producers of textile and apparel products to expand shipments to India, one of the world's largest markets with significant promise for competitive US producers and exporters," US Trade Representative Charlene Barshefsky said in a statement. The agreement fulfills market opening commitments that India made under a 1994 pact between the two countries.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020