USA: Clinton Reaches Agreement With India On Textile Tariffs
The United States and India have reached an agreement on textiles and apparel that the Clinton administration said Friday should significantly increase sales opportunities for American companies. The deal was announced during a state visit by Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Under the agreement, India will establish tariff ceilings that will keep its border taxes on American textile and apparel products from going above certain levels. "This agreement paves the way for US producers of textile and apparel products to expand shipments to India, one of the world's largest markets with significant promise for competitive US producers and exporters," US Trade Representative Charlene Barshefsky said in a statement. The agreement fulfills market opening commitments that India made under a 1994 pact between the two countries.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar