EUROPE: Clothes Retailing Ripe For Consolidation
Marks & Spencer is still Europe's leading clothing retailer, just ahead of C&A, but a new report on 'Clothing Retailing in Europe' from Retail Intelligence concludes that it is unlikely ever to return to its halcyon days when operating margins exceeded 13 per cent and its UK market share in clothing topped 16 per cent. This is not only as a result of its own difficulties and failings, but also because consumers are looking for greater diversity and a host of rivals (from the USA and Europe as well as from the UK) are rushing to satisfy this need. Along with Ireland, the UK is the most concentrated clothing market in Europe, with the top two players (M&S and Arcadia) capturing a combined market share of 20 per cent in 1998. The equivalent figure for the top two specialists in Germany is 12 per cent and it is less than six per cent in both France and Italy.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Where next for retailers in a saturated market?
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Inventory risk shifts in favour of retailers
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020