UK: Clothing and footwear sales decline during December
UK clothing and footwear sales volumes fell 3.5% during December, according to statistics released today (18 January) by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
The sector, which accounted for 12.3% of all retail sales during the month, saw sales fall 2.8% on a value basis against December last year. The price of clothing and footwear increased 1.2% year-on-year.
However, online showed positive growth, with clothing and footwear sales growing 26.3% against the prior year period.
Overall retail sales volumes increased 0.3% over the month. Excluding December 2010, when retail sales fell sharply due to harsh winter weather, the increase was the lowest December growth since 1998. Retail sales by value grew 0.7% over the month.
Commenting on the results, British Retail Consortium (BRC) director general Helen Dickinson said: "This confirms our own findings that it was a cautious Christmas for many of us.
"With many household budgets still feeling the squeeze and no signs of economic challenges receding any time soon, this led to a respectable rather than spectacular result during the most crucial trading period of the year.
"As with our own figures, the internet was the stand-out performer - our own figures would have shown subzero growth in non-food sales if it hadn't been for online's significant year on year rise."
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details