UK: Clothing and footwear sales fell again in April
UK clothing and footwear retailers said sales continued to fall during April, according to a survey released by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI).
The April Distributive Trades Survey said a balance of 28% of clothing retailers and 61% of footwear retailers saw sales declines during April.
Overall retail sales volumes were flat, defying expectations of growth the CBI said. Sales volumes were broadly unchanged in the year to April, the lowest balance since August 2012, continuing a steadily weakening trend in sales growth since November.
Sales volumes were well below average for the time of year, to a much greater extent than expected, it added.
"Retailers were frustrated this month by the on-going stagnation in sales growth, said Barry Williams, Asda chief merchandising officer for food and chair of the CBI Distributive Trades Survey Panel.
"This may be explained in part by the unseasonal weather we suffered, but there is no doubt that high street conditions are tricky with consumers lacking the confidence to go out and spend, as they still feel the pinch in their pocket."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Valued at US$87.0bn, the Middle East and African apparel market accounted for just 5% of total global apparel value sales in 2012. Nonetheless, it was the second fastest growing region globally in 201...
UK fashion retailer Arcadia Group has added two trading directors to its BHS chain....
The group representing more than 90 fashion retailers and brands working to improve fire and building safety in Bangladesh's garment industry has admitted that a fatal fire in a fabric mill earlier th...
The death of at least nine workers in a fire at a fabric mill in Bangladesh earlier this week has led to renewed calls for efforts to ensure safe conditions in the country's garment sector - as well a...
UK clothing retailers saw sales growth slow during September, according to an index by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI). ...
UK logistics firm and one of the country's largest garment processors, Advanced Supply Chain (ASC), has invested GBP300,000 (US$470,969) in new finishing facilities at its Halifax site to increase cap...
The countdown to London Fashion Week is being used by labour campaigners and the leader of a Bangladeshi garment union to battle for a living wage for factory workers....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- US Q1 in brief – Steve Madden, Skechers
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts