UK: Clothing and footwear sales rose in January
Clothing and footwear sales bucked general retail trends during January, with sales volumes increasing 1.2% over the month, as overall retail sales volumes declined 0.6%, according to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
The amount spent on clothing and footwear increased by 1.9% year-on-year as the price of goods increased 0.7%. Average weekly retail sales of clothing and footwear were GBP700m (US$1.08bn), with 10.6% of sales made via the internet.
Overall retail sales by value increased by 0.8% over the month.
Commenting on the results, KPMG's UK head of retail, David McCorquodale said: "Whilst the ONS statistics paint a negative picture, my sense is that January was in fact a relatively flat month.
"If you strip out sales of petrol, sales volumes rose marginally by 0.2% and values increased by 1.6%, which was slightly behind inflation. This appears to hint at continued margin pressure in the retail sector with goods being discounted to shift volumes.
"Interestingly, for those retailers selling winter and outer wear, the snow perhaps came fractionally too late. Retailers had already launched their seasonal sales and slashed the prices of winter gear when customer demand for cold weather clothing drove up volumes."
Clothing and Footwear Retailing in United Kingdom: Market Snapshot to 2016
Canadean’s, "Clothing and Footwear Retailing in United Kingdom: Market Snapshot to 2016" contains detailed historic and forecast retail sales value of Clothing and Footwear Retailing in United Kingdom...read more
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy