UK: Clothing and footwear sales rose in January
Clothing and footwear sales bucked general retail trends during January, with sales volumes increasing 1.2% over the month, as overall retail sales volumes declined 0.6%, according to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
The amount spent on clothing and footwear increased by 1.9% year-on-year as the price of goods increased 0.7%. Average weekly retail sales of clothing and footwear were GBP700m (US$1.08bn), with 10.6% of sales made via the internet.
Overall retail sales by value increased by 0.8% over the month.
Commenting on the results, KPMG's UK head of retail, David McCorquodale said: "Whilst the ONS statistics paint a negative picture, my sense is that January was in fact a relatively flat month.
"If you strip out sales of petrol, sales volumes rose marginally by 0.2% and values increased by 1.6%, which was slightly behind inflation. This appears to hint at continued margin pressure in the retail sector with goods being discounted to shift volumes.
"Interestingly, for those retailers selling winter and outer wear, the snow perhaps came fractionally too late. Retailers had already launched their seasonal sales and slashed the prices of winter gear when customer demand for cold weather clothing drove up volumes."
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- C&A building brand loyalty through consistent fit
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015