UK: Clothing boosts Sainsbury’s Q3 sales rise
- Q3 sales up 6.2% (6.3% excluding fuel)
- Like-for-likes up 3.8%
- Non-food growing at four times the rate of food
Supermarket giant Sainsbury's posted a 3.8% increase in third quarter like-for-like sales, boosted by "good growth" from its clothing ranges.
Total sales for the period to 2 January were up 6.2%, or 6.3% excluding fuel.
Like-for-likes excluding fuel and VAT rose 4.2%.
Chief executive Justin King said the retailer's non-food range grew at more than four times the rate of food during the quarter, thanks to infrastructure investment and good growth in clothing.
The January sale had started well, he added, despite a "challenging" consumer environment.
"Our universal customer appeal, together with our accelerated growth plans, means we are well placed to make continued good progress in 2010," King said.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Sainsbury's chief executive Justin King today (16 June) cautioned that consumer confidence in the UK remained weak and warned next week's Budget could dampen sentiment still further....
UK retailer Sainsbury's could enter the Chinese market as part of expansion plans under its new-look management team....
UK supermarket group Sainsbury's today (13 May) insisted its full-year sales and profits have "outperformed" the market, as the group increased store space and drove operational efficiencies....
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022