CAMBODIA: Clothing exports should continue to grow in 2014
The secretary general of the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia (GMAC) has predicted that the country's clothing industry will continue to grow exports to key target markets, despite the industrial unrest currently threatening production.
Speaking to just-style, Ken Loo stressed that the capacity of Cambodia's garment sector had continued to grow last year "due to the increase in [the] number of garment factories in Cambodia. In 2013, GMAC had a total of 130 new members," he said.
According to figures from Cambodia's ministry of commerce, the south-east Asian country's apparel exports hit US$5.53bn in 2013, up 20% from the US$4.61bn the year before.
The new investment had enabled the Cambodian industry to tap new markets, Loo added. And while GMAC does not set export targets and "as contract manufacturers we have no say on where we export our finished products", he was optimistic about 2014.
He told just-style: "I would expect growth to continue to come from the markets in which we have a comparative advantage - countries that provide trade preference to Cambodia for instance, the EU [European Union], Japan, Canada, China."
The commerce ministry said Cambodia's clothing exports to the US rose 7.6% last year, but by 28% to EUR2bn to the EU.
With additional reporting by Poorna Rodrigo.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- US Q2 in brief - Carter's, Wolverine Worldwide
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape