SOUTH AFRICA: Clothing industry job losses slow
Job losses in the Southern African textile, clothing and leather industries appear to be slowing, with latest figures suggesting government support and a union campaign to lift local procurement appear to be paying off.
A report tabled at the national executive committee meeting of the Southern African Clothing & Textile Workers' Union (SACTWU) shows job losses have continued to decline over the last four years.
The union said the number of jobs lost had dropped by 66% between 2010 and 2013. In 2010, a total of 10,119 jobs were lost, with this almost halving to 5,338 jobs lost in 2011. Another 5,330 jobs went in 2012, falling sharply to 3,416 last year.
As part of its Save Jobs campaign, the union has secured a number of local procurement deals, the latest of which is for the Cape Town International Jazz Festival. Government initiatives to help the sector include the Department of Trade and Industry's Competitiveness Improvement Programme.
Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in South Africa, December 2013
The textile and clothing industry in South Africa is a relatively small sector within the country's economy. However, it has the potential to be a significant employer within the manufacturing sector....read more
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details