SOUTH AFRICA: Clothing industry job losses slow
Job losses in the Southern African textile, clothing and leather industries appear to be slowing, with latest figures suggesting government support and a union campaign to lift local procurement appear to be paying off.
A report tabled at the national executive committee meeting of the Southern African Clothing & Textile Workers' Union (SACTWU) shows job losses have continued to decline over the last four years.
The union said the number of jobs lost had dropped by 66% between 2010 and 2013. In 2010, a total of 10,119 jobs were lost, with this almost halving to 5,338 jobs lost in 2011. Another 5,330 jobs went in 2012, falling sharply to 3,416 last year.
As part of its Save Jobs campaign, the union has secured a number of local procurement deals, the latest of which is for the Cape Town International Jazz Festival. Government initiatives to help the sector include the Department of Trade and Industry's Competitiveness Improvement Programme.
Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in South Africa, December 2013
The textile and clothing industry in South Africa is a relatively small sector within the country's economy. However, it has the potential to be a significant employer within the manufacturing sector....read more
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015