MOROCCO: Clothing industry needs "clear and practical plan"
The Moroccan clothing and textile industry has called on the government to work with the sector to boost exports after the release of figures showing production fell in 2013 compared to 2012.
The country's foreign exchange department (l'Office des Changes) said that the sector's exports fell from MAD28.2bn (US$3.4bn) in 2012 to MAD26.3bn (US$3.2bn) last year.
Speaking to just-style, Mohamed Tazi, the director general of industry association AMITH (Association Marocaine des Industries du Textiles et de l'Habillement), said despite the poor performance, there were "many indicators that call for optimism, concerning the future of the textile industry in Morocco.
"What is needed now is a clear and practical plan to enhance cooperation between companies and the government," he said, citing government goals of exporting MAD85bn worth of clothing and textiles by 2025 and creating 250,000 jobs as a result.
The problem is that between 2012 and 2013 exports fell sharply - by around 10.8% - with l'Office des Changes officials citing strong competition from Turkish, Indian and Chinese companies.
Morocco's ministry of trade, industry and new technologies is preparing a 10-year technological investment and sales promotion programme aimed at increasing exports to Europe.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Kurt Cavano on “the Uberfication of everything”
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019