MOROCCO: Clothing industry needs "clear and practical plan"
The Moroccan clothing and textile industry has called on the government to work with the sector to boost exports after the release of figures showing production fell in 2013 compared to 2012.
The country's foreign exchange department (l'Office des Changes) said that the sector's exports fell from MAD28.2bn (US$3.4bn) in 2012 to MAD26.3bn (US$3.2bn) last year.
Speaking to just-style, Mohamed Tazi, the director general of industry association AMITH (Association Marocaine des Industries du Textiles et de l'Habillement), said despite the poor performance, there were "many indicators that call for optimism, concerning the future of the textile industry in Morocco.
"What is needed now is a clear and practical plan to enhance cooperation between companies and the government," he said, citing government goals of exporting MAD85bn worth of clothing and textiles by 2025 and creating 250,000 jobs as a result.
The problem is that between 2012 and 2013 exports fell sharply - by around 10.8% - with l'Office des Changes officials citing strong competition from Turkish, Indian and Chinese companies.
Morocco's ministry of trade, industry and new technologies is preparing a 10-year technological investment and sales promotion programme aimed at increasing exports to Europe.
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- INTERVIEW: David Nieper pushes Made in UK momentum
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Weatherproof jackets release harmful chemicals"
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies