MOROCCO: Clothing industry needs "clear and practical plan"
The Moroccan clothing and textile industry has called on the government to work with the sector to boost exports after the release of figures showing production fell in 2013 compared to 2012.
The country's foreign exchange department (l'Office des Changes) said that the sector's exports fell from MAD28.2bn (US$3.4bn) in 2012 to MAD26.3bn (US$3.2bn) last year.
Speaking to just-style, Mohamed Tazi, the director general of industry association AMITH (Association Marocaine des Industries du Textiles et de l'Habillement), said despite the poor performance, there were "many indicators that call for optimism, concerning the future of the textile industry in Morocco.
"What is needed now is a clear and practical plan to enhance cooperation between companies and the government," he said, citing government goals of exporting MAD85bn worth of clothing and textiles by 2025 and creating 250,000 jobs as a result.
The problem is that between 2012 and 2013 exports fell sharply - by around 10.8% - with l'Office des Changes officials citing strong competition from Turkish, Indian and Chinese companies.
Morocco's ministry of trade, industry and new technologies is preparing a 10-year technological investment and sales promotion programme aimed at increasing exports to Europe.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024