UK: Clothing leads online sales growth
Clothes were the most popular online purchase in 2014
Clothing is the most popular item bought online so far this year, according to new figures, adding to evidence that consumers are embracing the convenience of shopping via the internet.
The latest data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) shows that 74% of all adults bought goods or services online, up from 53% in 2008.
Clothes were the most popular online purchase in 2014, bought by 49% of all adults. Those aged 25-34 were most likely to buy these items (64%). In 2014, over half of all women (52%) bought clothes online, compared with 46% of men.
The ONS found that 38m adults (76%) in Great Britain accessed the internet every day in 2014, 21m more than in 2006, when directly comparable records began.
In addition, access to the internet using a mobile phone more than doubled between 2010 and 2014 - from 24% to 58%.
A separate analysis from just-style earlier this week found that as a result of an acceleration in online shopping in the US, retailers are now seeking a sustainable balance between physical and e-commerce stores.
However, Shelley Kohan, VP of consulting at RetailNext, said she believes "online shopping will never fully replace brick and mortar. People crave social interaction and instant gratification and the big screen of a physical store delivers, regardless of channel surfing."
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)