UK: Clothing price deflation accelerates in February
Discounting was a key driver of clothing and footwear sales in February
Clothing and footwear prices continued to fall in February - with deflation not only accelerating during the month but also marking the longest sustained period of price declines.
The Shop Price Index from the British Retail Consortium (BRC) and Nielsen found clothing and footwear prices declined 12% year-on-year, from a fall of 9.9% in January.
All categories in clothing and footwear have now experienced deflation for six consecutive months. Discounting was a key driver of sales, with a number of retailers using targeted events to entice consumers to spend.
On a month-on-month basis, clothing and footwear prices rose 1.4% after a 5.3% fall in January.
Overall shop prices declined for a tenth consecutive month in February, accelerating to 1.4% from 1% in January - the deepest level of deflation since December 2006. Non-food reported annual deflation of 3%, up from 2.7% in January - the lowest ever recorded.
"There are especially good deals available at the moment in clothing, electricals, books and stationery," noted BRC director general Helen Dickinson.
Mike Watkins, head of retailer and business insight at Nielsen, added that the decline in the Shop Price Index is reflective of "a challenging trading environment due to weather and weak demand, but also more favourable global supply conditions during the second part of 2013".
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- Eliminating risk tops sustainability agenda
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects